The mkiv Supra Owners Club

July 2014 New rules for modifications Ireland

Jellybean

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20JULY%202014.pdf

Section 62

So as you can see from after market seats , steering wheels and suspension , I need an engineers report

In theory , as my car is a TRD3000GT , I will need Suspension, bodywork certification from Toyota lol

I use TUV and SFI/FIA approved items

Talking to anybody who tried to get an engineers report , nobody will sign off on their car

Do you guys have strict rules behind Modifications in the MOT , any ideas?

There is not really anything similar in the GB MOT, just a general "roadworthy" requirement. Northern Ireland may be different.

Looking at Section 62, it's all a bit vague. What changes would be a problem? If they mean, for example, replacement aftermarket dampers, they'll have to fail half the cars on the road.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

There is not really anything similar in the GB MOT, just a general "roadworthy" requirement. Northern Ireland may be different.

Looking at Section 62, it's all a bit vague. What changes would be a problem? If they mean, for example, replacement aftermarket dampers, they'll have to fail half the cars on the road.

She is vague , the usual over here ; I presume it is at the discretion of the tester in the center , as opposed to the UK we have dedicated centers run by a private company

My friends Skyline was failed due to a Sparco steering wheel , he was told he had to get an engineers report to indicate it was safe and installed correctly ; he just got an OEM steering wheel instead.

From what I gather it is aimed towards the so called "Fast & Furious" type car , but I know what you mean , how do you define an aftermarket damper.

You can buy spurious parts for your normal road car , in theory these could fall under a modification as they are not official OEM part

Well technically, paragraph 1 states

1. The vehicles owner (or the presenter on the owners behalf) shall confirm whether any repairs or modifications have been carried out to a vehicle since its last NCT which """""MAY""""" adversely affect the road worthiness of one or more of the items to be tested.

So surely it's up to you to declare anything you think may affect road worthiness.

If you don't think it will, don't include it

That's nuts Carlo! From my first reading of it, I thought it was only modifications carried out since the last NCT and you could get round it by saying that all the modifications have been in place since the last NCT/since import but the third (un-numbered) section basically says that if the tester spots something that's 'aftermarket' they can request a report.

There's a business opportunity there though as a 'friendly' report writer :D

There's a big fine or worse for the "friendly" writer who passes silly wheels that fail, or break wheel studs, or the claimant saying they didn't know the super stiff ARB's would affect bumpy road grip, and inditrectly cause them to "lose control".... I predicted changes in legislation for modified cars years back, one only has to look at some of the death traps on the road. Will become Europe wide in due course.

If things did start to go that way, it could spell an end to DIY car modification with any changes having to be done by a qualified mechanic or proper tuning company who would include a report as part of the service. Could be good news for people like yourself Chris who are reputable and know their stuff. As with many other things though, the potential profits to be made by a 'friendly' writer are likely to outweigh the punishment in terms of financial penalties/fines and there will be ways for the death traps to bypass the system.

There's a big fine or worse for the "friendly" writer who passes silly wheels that fail, or break wheel studs, or the claimant saying they didn't know the super stiff ARB's would affect bumpy road grip, and inditrectly cause them to "lose control".... I predicted changes in legislation for modified cars years back, one only has to look at some of the death traps on the road. Will become Europe wide in due course.

Reading on the RSA website (Road Safety Authority) this is driven by an EU directive (excuse the pun) lol

I am all for getting the unregulated tat off the shelfs here but they should of taught it out like germany and accept TUV approved items for example

If things did start to go that way, it could spell an end to DIY car modification with any changes having to be done by a qualified mechanic or proper tuning company who would include a report as part of the service. Could be good news for people like yourself Chris who are reputable and know their stuff. As with many other things though, the potential profits to be made by a 'friendly' writer are likely to outweigh the punishment in terms of financial penalties/fines and there will be ways for the death traps to bypass the system.

My friend is in the trade and builds race cars , all my items are of certain standard (SFI,FIA, TUV) so he should hopefully sign off on them :)

Will see what they say, if I could afford it , I would get a TRD steering wheel :) Just put on the FIA Snap-off quick release to get rid of the tat that was on there when it came in from Japan & for security