The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking about getting a Supra, have a few questions...

bayside_supra

Hi everyone,

A few years ago I bought a really nice mk2 MR2 Turbo T-bar which I had for 3 years and spent a lot of time and money upgrading and loved every bit of it. Then a couple of years ago I bought a Vauxhall Monaro VXR 6.0l as I needed a V8 in my life. I then sold the MR2 as I could not really justify keeping both, I still have my Monaro and I smile everytime I drive it, but I really miss a lot about my old MR2. I miss the sound and feel of a turbo spooling up, I also miss being able a spend a reasonable ammount of money and really change the characteristics of the car. Every mod I have done to the Monaro has cost me a fortune and not made anywhere near as much difference as I had hoped. Most of all I miss being able to take the roof off!

I have ALWAYS wanted a Supra so now I think the time has come to get one, I have done the big V8 thing and want some boost again!

I am sure you have been asked this loads of times but I have only just come onto this forum so please forgive me if this has been covered. I want a Supra that does not exist as I am sure many people do, I want a TT aerotop 6 speed manual and an LSD. What is the most cost effective way to do this? I have a great mechanic who should be able to do any conversions required but I do not know what the best route to go is. Do I buy an Aerotop auto NA and put a new engine and gearbox in? Or do I buy a TT auto Aerotop for more money and then convert just the gearbox? Or do I wait for the car thats already been done to come up, I see one for sale on here which is nice but is a lot of money, and the truth is I would rather start a little closer to standard and upgrade myself how I want it.

I am hoping to pull around £10k from my Monaro, may take a while to sell but that should be acheivable. I am hoping this sort of budget will get me into the Supra I want. If need be I do not mind putting a couple of grand more into it but I would like some advice on if this setup of Supra with this sort of money is acheivable, how to go about doing it, I guess a basic shopping list for whatever route is best would be great so I can start looking around.

Any help and info you guys can give me would be much apprecaited.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post.

Karl

Shame you were not on here a while ago. AndrewOW's car would of been right up your street.

Thanks for the replies. I take it you mean the lovely black one with the properly cool alloys? I know that did look perfect.

I have only really seen this but is quite expensive. Not sure if it's worth spending this much.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271640129915

Fair play. Will probably just wait for the right one to come up on here. Do you guys think it is achievable on a £10k budget then?

It is definitely possible with your budget but you may have to play the waiting game or even consider buying a TT aero and doing a six speed conversion :)

Any pics of the Monaro? Always loved them!

Fair play. Will probably just wait for the right one to come up on here. Do you guys think it is achievable on a £10k budget then?

Welcome to the club. :)

Is that £10k inc the 6 speed? As the V160/1 will set you back £3.5k oh it's own. You'd be able to pick up a TT Aero under or close to £10k but not inc the 6 speed. I'd agree on others it would be better to get a TT & swap to a 6 speed. RobUK has a fantastic 6 speed aero TT.

I will have to be patient, I have seen the gearboxes themselves seem to fetch a good chunk of money, I am guessing there are a lot of other parts required for the conversion aswell for the interior and other machanicals? I was goping to get the car and convert it for around £10k but as I said I can chuck a little more it if I have to. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction once I find the right car.

Here are some pics of my Monaro, most likely going up for sale in the near future.

photo7.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Edited by bayside_supra (see edit history)

Im in same boat a tt aero 6 speed but i will be getting a 6speed tt hard top and at a later date re shell everything into a aero shell

Re shell. That sounds like the most expensive route by far? I could see this costing the cars value to do, unless I am missing a trick would this be a viable route to go down?

JordanC I am glad you approve, it's yours for £10k ;);)

I was basing it off doing the work myself as i would all i would need from the hard top to just move over to the aero shell and this would be done one a basis that i can afford to do it at a later date a few years down the line when im.on the property market and become qualified with my apprenticeship. i surpose it comes down to your situation and what you feel in your views would be the best route.

By the way wellcome :-) and good luck with your searchs il be waiting for a project thread :-)

There's been reasonable TT aero's sell for £8500ish so for about £11k you could in theory get the car and the box if you don't have labour charges. Be a tall order or a ropy car for £10k all done. That said last year there was a red aero TT went for £5500 which I was tempted by but I wanted a black car and it looked a bit tatty.

£11k I can do.

The Monaro is awesome, the engine dominates everything, the noise never gets old and its such a sense of occasion driving it. Everyone loves it aswell gets so much attention and I have never had a bad comment from anyone.

It is a big beast though, there is no hiding the weight, I spent a lot of money on suspension and polybushing and mounts ect... to try and make the car feel agile, but it is a muscle car, and will only go round a corner well if a big cloud of tire smoke is following you ;) definitely not a bad thing.

It is however very expensive to get more out of the engine, it goes very well standard but the only way to get significantly more out is supercharging, which everyone wants to do, but at around £8k you have to be commited! A new cam is another way but even that is over £3k. Things like a decent exhaust (which you really need) is around £3k, luckily mine already had that done! The car is very reasonable to run (apart from fuel) but very expensive to tune!

I just can't get rid of the modding bug and it is a very expensive hobby on the Monaro, want something I can mod a bit more. Mine drives about as well as a Monaro can drive without touching the engine and I have done as much cosmetically as anyone would want to do on one, tints, xenons etc. Time for a new project.