The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Misfire.

tony tt

Evening.

Since going single my car has had a misfire and was only able to be mapped at max 1.2bar. Pulled well till I got back up the road and changed the coil packs. I took the failing OEM coils out and put new whifbitz coils in with no joy if anything it was worse. Today I got a set of used OEM coils to try and it was perfect for about 40mins. It's back to misfiring again?

I have a new set of OEM coils being delivered next Friday but I'm not sure why it worked temporary with no misfire and now it's back to the way it was. Pain in the ass as it pulled fine with the used OEM coils. Coil pack clips are fine also and it's got new plugs in it. Grade 8 from Whiffin that are for the single set up I bought from him. Is it possible the used oem coils i put in today were on the road out? I'm stumped. I'll try the new coils when they arrive but I've no idea what's going on with it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we used my packs that are out the engine im stripping rebuilding, only done 60k according to lee. we put the packs in, and took it for a test drive, all was well, pulled like a mother hubbard, and no misfire, then 40mins later i get a txt saying back to misfiring, is it possible it could be the plugs are just now upto the job? with my black car, we used the care plugs that jamie and lee used, although these were about £20 per plug if i remember right.

im thinking

plugs

coil packs(doubtful though now)

ignitor

clips

We had this issue on Dragonball this year, Had a missfire at 5K RPM on boost, We could build the boost slowly but couldn't take it past 5K without spitting it's dummy out. We had Whifbitz coil packs at the time, swapped them with some brand new OEM coil packs that Lee P had with him and its been perfect ever since.

Tony nine times out of ten it will be the coil packs and as you step up in power it will highlight any weakness. Also you should be on grade eight and preferably 9 spark plugs. Also not sure if you went down the syvecs route if you did and have traction control it purposely creates a misfire when seeking traction. Hope you get it sorted bud because when they are running well there is nothing like it.

What injectors are you using mate, and they low or high impedance?

What fuel pressure and fuel pump are you running?

850cc high impedance and a 450lph pump mate. Should be more than enough for the power I have.

We had this issue on Dragonball this year, Had a missfire at 5K RPM on boost, We could build the boost slowly but couldn't take it past 5K without spitting it's dummy out. We had Whifbitz coil packs at the time, swapped them with some brand new OEM coil packs that Lee P had with him and its been perfect ever since.

I've a brand new set on order mate so I'll see how they go. Cheers.

id deffinatly change the clips and plugs.

There is a guy on ebay selling coil clips with 6" of loom and I must say they are a pucka job and fit really good, I ll find the link.

You have to solder them onto your wires but that's easy.

I was also suffering misfire at 1.7 and it was down to poorly fitted clips (I did) and old coils.

Now fitted them clips off ebay with brand new Toyota coils and its perfect.

Tony nine times out of ten it will be the coil packs and as you step up in power it will highlight any weakness. Also you should be on grade eight and preferably 9 spark plugs. Also not sure if you went down the syvecs route if you did and have traction control it purposely creates a misfire when seeking traction. Hope you get it sorted bud because when they are running well there is nothing like it.

Hi John

It's on Syvecs bud with grade 8 plugs. It's possible the traction control kicked in but it wouldn't kick down at all just shat itself. Then again I'm not sure I have the traction control set up.

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)

id deffinatly change the clips and plugs.

There is a guy on ebay selling coil clips with 6" of loom and I must say they are a pucka job and fit really good, I ll find the link.

You have to solder them onto your wires but that's easy.

I was also suffering misfire at 1.7 and it was down to poorly fitted clips (I did) and old coils.

Now fitted them clips off ebay with brand new Toyota coils and its perfect.

My clips were definitely a better fit to the oem ones than the whifbitz coil packs. To be honest the clips seem pretty good.

I'm thinking that your car/ecu might just be very sensitive to older coil packs, and that new ones will hopefully cure it mate.

Fuel supply should be fine - I assume the pump is wired to a relay for a constant 12v feed when running?

High impedance rules out resistor packs

Plugs should be fine, but it might be worth trying a set of cheap grade 8 coppers to rule them out.

I'm thinking that your car/ecu might just be very sensitive to older coil packs, and that new ones will hopefully cure it mate.

Fuel supply should be fine - I assume the pump is wired to a relay for a constant 12v feed when running?

High impedance rules out resistor packs

Plugs should be fine, but it might be worth trying a set of cheap grade 8 coppers to rule them out.

Yes Mate constant 12v for the fuel pump.

It's the clips that are getting hot and expanding causing a loss of currrent I think. Ryan and Hodge have said clips so new oem coil packs are coming anyway they will do no harm and new clips have been sourced. Fingers crossed that's the issue.

Cheers guys.

It's almost always the coil pack clips mate. Worse case scenario in that area it could be the pins themselves. It's a footery job to sort them out but one that's well worth it in the long run. I would have definitely suggested swapping out the clips before the coil packs, but I'm a little late to this party.

Ok guys the saga continues.

When I drive the car for a few miles till its warmed up the car kicks down and pulls like a train. It will have a couple of good pulls from about 50mph and goes fantastically well. Then when it's hot it starts to splutter on boost. I can feather the boost in lightly and it gets up to speed but after those couple of pulls it doesn't want to play. I have put a used set of toyota coil packs in just now from Geo and I have fitted new coil pack clips from Lee P and it's still doing this. I have a brand new set of coils coming end of this week but I'm unsure this will fix the issue. I have an ignitor pack to try also. I went to Geo's tonight and he pulled some logs off the Syvecs. Does anyone know what these errors point too? Or has any idea what could be causing it to misfire or other? All this is at cal setting 1 which is only 0.9bar. I've messaged these to Ryan but no reply yet.

Ryan did say there was a valve sticking on idle but when the car is driven and comes on boost its opening as it should. It's only a bit lumpy on idle from cold. New coil packs come soon and then ignitor pack. If that cures it fine but I really have my doubts about this problem. I'm kinda regretting this single malarkey!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)