The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nuts, Bolts and other stuff... Rebuild!

Geo

So as some of you know i'm rebuilding my Engine, doing a total refresh from top to bottom. With the Engine being 20yrs+ old now, most if not all nuts, bolts are all rusty, falling apart, look terrible.

My question is this, where can i get new ones other than Toyota, or does it need to be ordered Specifically to like say the Oil Pump nuts and bolts i pulled off? Or can we use anything with the same pitch, length, etc?

Thanks

You need to be a bit careful, but many bolts can be replaced with either cap heads or 8 grade hex heads. Careful means ensuring they aren't "special" bolts, or requiring of a specific grip length. I can only suggest you find a copy of Carroll Smith's great book "Nuts, bolts, fasteners and plumbing handbook". Probably the most readable and comprehensive book on why you need what.

But off the top of my head, the bolts in a 2JZ you MUST replace with OE or better are:

Head bolts, rod bolts, main cap bolts, crank pulley bolt, flywheel bolts. Quality high tensile bolts with the right thread and grip length can be used as replacements elsewhere, as none are particularly highly loaded in either tension or shear.

: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fasteners-Plumbing-Handbook-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879384069

The fun comes at the end of your rebuild, when there's a lonely bolt, and a funny "thingie" left in your bags, and you ain't no idea where they should have gone :) We call it lightening things in the trade.... ;)

In time you get a spare engine.

:rlol: no doubt they'll be a few wtfdtbg bits ad bobs left, good thing is i've got Hodgy boy helping me. :)

For all the key bolts Chris mentioned above I used Toyota except for ARP on the head. Outside of that, I either reused the originals if they weren't fubar'd and were going to be out of sight or if they were going to be seen, I ordered stuff from these guys:

http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=2382934

Good quick service and you can order individual pieces in either chrome or polished SS for most stuff.

The fun comes at the end of your rebuild, when there's a lonely bolt, and a funny "thingie" left in your bags, and you ain't no idea where they should have gone :) We call it lightening things in the trade.... ;).

I call them corner bolts personally..!!