The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch recommendations

James

I know these threads have been done before (I conducted a search of course and have done some reading :D ) but I was just curious as to whether there are any new opinions on clutch options?

I'm running a T88-34D single at (an estimated, yet to be dyno'd) 650bhp. As the car is VVTi it has a V161.

I have, as mentioned, read some threads but also had a look on the Whifbitz site. The HKS LA seems like it could be a good option? I also noticed the Spec clutches. They are pretty cheap by comparison, are they any good? The 2+ & 3 are rated to 699lbft and 755lbft respectively, and are ~1/3 the price of the HKS.

I presume I'd be as well to change the release bearing and nose bearing while at it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice :thumbs:

What power and torque will you be running

The spec clutches are very good and also the HKS LA

We generally use the stage 1 spec as it drives as close to stock as you can get, for bigger power the HKS

We use both and I keep them both in stock

Are the spec clutches multi-plate?

The initial models I looked at aren't, they do multi plate clutches though.

I would change the end crank seal as well.

:thumbs:

What power and torque will you be running

The spec clutches are very good and also the HKS LA

We generally use the stage 1 spec as it drives as close to stock as you can get, for bigger power the HKS

We use both and I keep them both in stock

I'd want something capable of ~700bhp/700lbft to give me some space. I'd imagine the torque to be more around 580 or such, but if I futureproof it a little I'd be happy :)

700ftlbs is a lot of torque for a supra and you would be unlikely to be running that unless running a lot more power.

Whet you do want to do is get a clutch to run loads of torque that then doesn't drive very nice and you end up not running anywhere near it

The HKS LA twin plate is one of the nicest clutches I've ever used and will do 600ftlbs no problem but its max rating is slightly higher.

If your wanting to hold more then maybe an RPS or exeddy tripple carbon would be better.

Also depends on budget though

The initial models I looked at aren't, they do multi plate clutches though.

:thumbs:

I'd want something capable of ~700bhp/700lbft to give me some space. I'd imagine the torque to be more around 580 or such, but if I futureproof it a little I'd be happy :)

Avoid the RPS twin plate is the only value I can add to this - 2 years in and I STILL can't get on with it. I've heard the triple plate is much more user-friendly though.

Good luck! :)

You are right twin plate was never as nice, tripple is the one to have

Any carbon clutch isn't going to be perfect for the road tbh which is why the HKS is perfect as an inbetween

The carbon is great for big power though and drag racing

You are right twin plate was never as nice, tripple is the one to have

Any carbon clutch isn't going to be perfect for the road tbh which is why the HKS is perfect as an inbetween

The carbon is great for big power though and drag racing

My RPS triple CC is very nice like Lee says.

The only negative comment will be that the biting point is very narrow; this makes red light starts in an uphill road sometimes slightly more difficult.

But all in all, I have been using mine for 5000 mls now, and I would never install anything else.

• 1 year later...

Well, I went with the HKS LA twin.

2500 miles later (if that) and the rear crank seal which was replaced as a matter of course has leaked and contaminated the clutch badly. There are now loads of hot spots all over it and it slips at anything about 0.5bar.

I think I'm going to go for the RPS Triple and look to cleaning up the HKS one - there is still an alright amount left on the plates.

Well, I went with the HKS LA twin.

2500 miles later (if that) and the rear crank seal which was replaced as a matter of course has leaked and contaminated the clutch badly. There are now loads of hot spots all over it and it slips at anything about 0.5bar.

I think I'm going to go for the RPS Triple and look to cleaning up the HKS one - there is still an alright amount left on the plates.

Stick with the HKS you mad scone , why pay $$$ again for RPS, rear crank seal could of went with any clutch

Guest Budz86
Is the HKS LA good enough for drag racing at 700ftlbs?

Doubt the LA would hold 700ft lbs for long, let alone running it up the strip! Carbon all the way for the abuse and heat it will take on the strip, organics don't like either in moderate to large quantities!