The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra mk4 Uk spec brakes feel weak/light?

supra_24

Hey guys,

My garage has just contacted me to let me know that my supra is pretty much done.

Although they now tell me that the brakes felt a little weak for the 400bhp running through it?

They did bleed all brakes and re do them.

Also I only had the new pads discs calipers fitted by Whifbitz in July. Cost £1500

I believe they are uk spec? Black calipers all round with supra written on them?

Any ideas why the brakes may feel weak or light?

As I don't really want to drive it if they don't feel right, due to safety.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Regards

Ash

after years of owning J-spec brakes on Supras I must admit I feel that a full UK set up is not much if at all better sharpness wise they only seem to be any better if your using them on track....

I have just been reminded I barely ever breach 30mph.... carry on nothing to see here

I've know Horsham developments for years, they aren't trying to sell anything, just be honest with me.

In regards to the supra it's been sitting for about a month and they only ran it 5mins down the road and back.

Is it because maybe they need warming up or have crap on them?

Cheers

Ash

I had mine feel odd with a judder through the steering wheel, as I was coming to a stop and easing off the brakes it would run on and was scary, turnt out to be brakes where seizing as once I refurbed them they was great with no issues, just wait until you get it back and see for your self

Loads to check mate really

If you have Uk 4 x pots check that all the pistons move on each caliper and you haven't got a seized one somewhere. Actually if you have jSPEC 2 x pots make sure both pistons move and the sliders are free. Both with seized pistons would cause your symptoms.

Brake hoses could be worn which could give you a spungy feeling.

Master cylinder seals passing

poor bleeding (I have always found Supra brake systems a devils own to bleed fully)

Old brake fluid (probably not your issue if the brakes have been bled)

If Paul replaced Callipers, discs and pads then you can assume the pads and discs are fine however Supras are know to have pistons seize on the callipers if not regularly used.

I have Lexus 4 pots on mine and when fitted they stopped me on a dime:d and I know others on good Jpecs are v happy with the stopping capability

Yeah just looked at my invoice for Whifbitz and it states brand new front and rear UK spec brake kit was fitted on 18th July 2014. Both kits were around £600 each. Included new brakes discs and pads.

All brakes have been bled again by Horsham developments and they are very good at what they do. So can't see it being an issue they have caused.

I think I will ring Whifbitz and see whether they will replace any brake parts if needs be, as they are only 2 months old and the car has had barely any use since then due to other issues being sorted at then garage.

I will then get Horsham developments to check brakes and wheel bearings and master cylinder, pistons etc.

The main issues here are the vague braking feeling and the steering wheel judder :(

The brake booster/servo system on the UK's combined with stock inert materials makes them feel weak and dull for a good 2" of travel. Once you push through it though you'll put your head into the steering wheel.

I suspect they don't know this. The Supra brakes take some getting used to imo.

The brake booster/servo system on the UK's combined with stock inert materials makes them feel weak and dull for a good 2" of travel. Once you push through it though you'll put your head into the steering wheel.

This...

uk brakes feel crap compared to my old clio. those were very sharp. on/off the uk ones and jspecs even. have more progressive feel to them. but if you stamp on em they work. thats the idea :)

As Guigsy said (and I tested the same brakes he tried).

One thing that Guigsy addressed on the old car was the brake lines. They were worn. I trust you have had these checked over as I assume (I'm not technically minded) that these could cause a problem.

id also concur with this, coming from my audi to the supra the brakes feel shocking, but once you are past that bit of travel, they are good.

If your getting a judder, it could well be where the car has been sat and a print from the pad has been left on the disc. If I were you I would take the car out yourself and give the car some good hard stops to clear anything off the discs and then go from there

Agreed, but gentle stops to clean rust off the discs, and warm them up slowly. Once the pad pathways on all discs are bright and clean see if the judder is gone. Not something that can be diagnosed remotely, you need to test drive it for a hundred or so miles to settle things back in. Lack of use can knacker brakes that were perfect.

I upgraded my fronts to UK specs, stock Uk discs and pads - braided lines all around. Bled all 4 calipers and pushed new fluid into them. The brake feel felt worse than before, I was actually worried that id done something wrong. Bled them again (4 times) and they started to feel better. I was expecting the kind of pedal feel you get with newer cars, that instant grab, but like its mentioned above, it takes a good 2 inches of pedal travel before you hit that brick wall braking feel.

Ive just changed my rears to the UK setup as well, yet to bleed them, but I cant wait to see how they'll feel. After the pedal travel, they punch hard, had quite a few comments from friends saying the UK specs seem way better than the Jspecs, that was just when my fronts were on.. Im not sure if you can adjust the pedal travel, maybe that would give you the "grab" that the garage guys are used to?

How old is the brake fluid? I replaced mine just before Dragonball and had to re-adjust to the feel of the brakes. I used ATE Racing Blue brake fluid and it stops instantly. The only upgrade I shall be doing is some pads from Mr Wilson, and I suspect it'll make my brakes perfect!!