The mkiv Supra Owners Club

starting from a base NA\TT to a single turbo fully built

mpobor

hi every body!

i would like to make few question regarding this topic.

basically i'm on my way to buy a Supra.. the market is very small and is getting smaller every year.. i notice that sometimes it pop on internet some NA 5 speed\auto or twin turbo auto jdm at a very low price and even rarely some 6 speed tt BPU level for 3 times the price...

as far as i know i understand that trans, gearbox and engine itself of the tt 6 speed model are remarcably tough... very durable stuff...

but supras start to have 20+ y.o. so i was wondering even if all this parts are very reliable... they are going to worn out so they need to be refurbished soon....

my question is... what if i take a very base NA model or a tt auto at a very low price and then slowly collect all the bits and pices necessery to upgrade to a 6 speed manual 2jzgte fully built block, brand new single turbo, brand new lsd, b.n. driveshaft, brakes and so on.. would i be spending the same price if i buy a used car that already have all of it??

i was checking whifbiz garage anche if i'm not wrong fullybuilt block and stage 1 head is aroung 10k... if i'm patient i may found a getrag for 5k (i did some research and the getrag itself it's just a small pieace of the puzzle necessery for an auto\manual conversion i know)... i know that it's a lot of money but at the end i will have a 0 y.o. car that will last for other 20 years...

it may be more costly but i would have basically a 0 miles car on every bits (trans, gearbox, block, diff ext)..

it may appear a silly question but i could go spending 15\17k now for a 6 speed TT supra and than spend very soon other money to refurb gearbox, diff, turbos, ext....

thank you very much for any tips or comment regarding this topic

I'd advise you to buy a TT6 from the start. It'll be cheaper (I don't know what average prices are in Italy but this is true for UK market prices). You can then replace what needs replacing, when it needs replacing.

As for having a zero miles car, I don't think that's right. The chassis, body panels, suspension components etc will still be 20+ years old. You mentioned a Getrag for 5k: presumably that's a 2nd hand part that's 20+ years old and has done lots of miles already. The same goes for engine, diff, etc, unless you buy everything new, which would be really really expensive!