The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The New Build - The Supra S

Littler

Well this is something that was always in the making but due to wanting to experience others cars first a lengthy delay in my return to the Supra was created! This project in itself will be lengthy as I want to build it to my exact spec but due to work it will be slow so bare with me.

I haven't bought a Supra yet and neither have I got one in mind but I have been on the hunt for a few months, I just haven't found the right one and without going into the nitty gritty I am being very picky, but I have time so I am not worried. Now the route this build will go will completely depend on the car itself, it could become a full restoration or only slight. However, due to what I want I highly expect this to become a full restoration!

This leads me onto what I want from the build, I essentially want to build a Supra to my spec without any compromise. I attempted previously but in the end it wasn't the exact car I wanted. To explain this further, anything I do in this project will either allow me to keep it stock or I'll be able to revert completely back to stock when I desire so it can become the collectors item it may well be in years down the line.

So the base of this project (when found) will be a UK TT6 or VVTI TT6. The UK TT6 will be where I believe a full restoration will be needed due to it most likely having dealt with our winters but so I can also satisfy my OCD. With a UK TT6 it has as much kit that Toyota can provide without it being classed as 'away from genuine spec', so the numbers will match (paint code, engine code, transmission code, diff code etc), this means I'm not swapping anything away from what originally came with the car based on the spec plate (e.g. fitting a big diff). Anything that is swapped will either compliment stock or can be swapped without any modification to stock parts.

The project has been dubbed as the 'Supra S' which I think suitably sums up what I'm after. Porsche, Jaguar and some other manufactures use this for their 'better than original but still stock...ish cars'. They are generally lighter, faster and handle better but without compromising too much of the road use considering what your after if your buying that sort of car.

I've had a look at colours but nothing is better than black when perfect, so it will be black (at least everyone knows how much I like cleaning!). Visually it will look very similar to SW's old car (I did own these wheels but will have to buy them again!):

attachment.php?attachmentid=192782&stc=1&d=1413199987

attachment.php?attachmentid=192783&stc=1&d=1413199987attachment.php?attachmentid=192784&stc=1&d=1413199987attachment.php?attachmentid=192785&stc=1&d=1413199987

Now I won't be having the front lip I will be retaining the active spoiler and unfortunately the wheels are no longer on sale so I have been in talks with HRE about there equivalent wheel the C103 in a polished lip and silver face finish, the sizes will be 18x8 (stock front width) and 18x11.5, for tyres i will be running 235/40 and 295/35, the offsets and tyre sizes will allow the arches to be filled nicely without compromising handling. To give you an idea of the look (and the wrong colour) this is what they are:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192786&stc=1&d=1413200520

attachment.php?attachmentid=192787&stc=1&d=1413200520

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

Nice write up! A good idea to start with the perfect base car to keep matching numbers.

Sounds like a well planned out project I look forward to your updates.

Regarding the diff I am going with the OS Giken on my build, I'm not familiar with the exact differences but OS seems to be getting a better reputation with their diffs lately than TRD.

I just can't keep away chaps ;)

This car will be clean, stock as it can be with a nice choice of mods.

I'm just in talks with a chap on the U.S. Forum to get a Ross racing intake plenum. A bit more flow but no cutting of the engine bay so it can be put back to stock when I'm ready :)

You'll have to acid-dip a bare UK shell to remove the inevitable rust that lurks inside the sills. Budget for that as it's a fair whack to have it done, and then re-coated for ultimate rust prevention.

Edit- Adam don't buy a UK.. you'll change most of the bits that make it a UK anyway! Just get a J-Spec in better condition and stop being silly. :D

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

You'll have to acid-dip a bare UK shell to remove the inevitable rust that lurks inside the sills. Budget for that as it's a fair whack to have it done, and then re-coated for ultimate rust prevention.

Adam doesn't worry about that he will only drive this car on his private island, which he recently had carpeted.

Shagpile?

Of course :D

Awesome glad to see you are coming back! Good luck with it

Cheers dude!

Great project, you have a great eye for detail. I'll be watching this closely.

Does this mean you sold your 911 or will that be staying?

Nope the 911 is staying, that's an investment that won't be leaving for a while :)

With a UK TT6 it has as much kit that Toyota can provide without it being classed as 'away from genuine spec', so the numbers will match (paint code, engine code, transmission code, diff code etc), this means I'm not swapping anything away from what originally came with the car based on the spec plate (e.g. fitting a big diff).

All UK cars were fitted with the bigger diff as standard.

Why go to all the trouble of going single etc if you want a stock car for the future, will you every really change it all back ?

Perhaps what you need is a single turbo for now and a project Uk Spec to keep as a fully restored original spec car

This had crossed my mind, it's just my thoughts so far, I may do a full UK spec rebuild with stock twins for that reason and ignore the power element. Just like the porsche its 100% oem and any mods are simply bolt ons, which does make more sense :)

All UK cars were fitted with the bigger diff as standard.

That's what I meant, as if it was a Jspec I'd most likely have to put a big diff in which would be a different code to the plate :)

• 2 months later...

Well despite me not getting another car yet I have been sourcing a few parts as I've spotted them.

So I want a street able power band with low down torque, as such I was looking at cast manifolds with something along the lines of a 6266 or 6466 precision turbo (1.0 divided A/R). I looked at various ones, the treadstone, SPA and SP but then as luck would have it I've found a rare Arnout manifold:

attachment.php?attachmentid=195236&stc=1&d=1418844398

attachment.php?attachmentid=195237&stc=1&d=1418844398

attachment.php?attachmentid=195238&stc=1&d=1418844398

The benefits of the Arnout Cast Manifold:

- Great volume and flow in a cast setup

- Won't crack

- 50mm wastegate port with lots of meat in the casting (meaning no boost creep)

- Very rare with only 25 made

- Will give a great area under the torque curve

- Due to the design it will not restrict the flow/power like other cast manifolds

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg