The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter Supra wounderland!

Hitbox Junkie

Im looking at purchasing a supra TT as a daily i know that auto box is the best you can get as stock. im looking at getting a 6speed but how well to both the auto and 6 speed hold up in the winter.

I know that the 6speed you have more control in the ice, snow and wet. As this would be my daily id have to be able to drive it in all wheather conditions.

So how do all of you find they hold up?

Any advice for both autos and manuals please post below.

I have a TT with 5 Speed gear box and it seems fine so far as a daily drive. I use it for work and back. Not sure in regards to winter as I havnt had it that long yet.

Although my previous car was a Nissan Silvia S15 1999 and I owned that for 3 years as a daily drive and never let me down once.

As long as you keep the car well maintained it should be absoloutely fine in all conditons. I would recommend taking it for a service every 6 months. Just to make sure all fluids etc are kept in check ;)

I've driven na auto(s) daily for the past 8 years, my commute is 50 miles round trip, driving one in the snow isn't much craic so much so that I leave it at home and take the bus or get a lift. I may just be being a big jessie tho...

yep my TT has been my daily driver for as long as I've owned it (and an NA prior to that). she is an auto tiptronic which gives me a bit of control. I even used it for 400 mile weekly trips for a couple of years with no issues at all. Saying that I do take it off the road yearly to do those jobs that all TT's need doing at some point (oil pump, Timing belts, Rebuilt suspension, upgraded brakes, Valve stem seals at the moment:rolleyes:).

I am a pussy with this car in the snow though and I park her up when the white stuff arrives. This end of the country shuts down when the white stuff descends:):)

The auto box has a manual mode so if driven in Manu you get no nasty surprises. Take the TT stock traction control off and buy some decent winter tyres and you'll be fine. This utter drivel that high powered cars are crap in the ice and snow needs to be addressed. Get the right tyres and it doesn't matter what car you have it'll drive fine. A few years back in my auto TT aristo I passed countless fwd and even 4wd cars going up a notorious hill in the snow with my foot flat to the floor with decent winter tyres on (traction control on the mk2 aristo embarrasses the supra's) .

My current Beemer has 275 19's on and after I put the verde stein winters back on I will have no issues with driving in any snow or ice on untreated roads. Biggest issue I've come across in heavy snow is the wheels filling up with snow and ice and causing wheel balance problems.