The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driver window seal replacement?

jim

I've got a small leak at the top corner of my driver's window, and have a replacement seal to sort the problem. I intend to tackle it over the next few days as the weather has taken a turn for the worst. There are three small pin type clips at one end of the seal, and a couple at the other end.

I don't want to start the job without having everything I need to complete it, so was wondering if anyone has replaced this seal before, and if it's simply a case of clipping the end, working the seal into the groove and clipping in the other end...or if I need to use some sort of sealant/silicone around the length of the seal to hold it in place and keep it water-tight?

Anyone know? Ta :)

I replaced mine a couple of months ago. There are pins on one side and then there should be pins inside the new seal. If not, use your old ones. I suggest you use a one of those plastic bicycle tyre tools for the job. Start from the wing mirror side and work your way to the door handle. You need to push the seal into the track furthest away from you and then use the tool to squeeze the rubber closest to you in. It takes a little while but you'll get the hang of it. I do not suggest using any sealants or sharp items.