The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question about the J-Spec Supra

JackyBoi

Okay quick question about the J-Spec Supra. I've had mine imported from Japan into the UK permanently (it's a 51 plate) and I've heard from some people that you are allowed to double-decat a J-Spec Supra because it is exempt from specific UK laws, but I've also heard from others that this doesn't matter and that you must have both cats installed to drive it on the road. Who is right? Can I take both my cats off and still drive it on the road/pass an MOT? Or must I always have both cats on to drive on the road?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm stuck between buying and not buying the decat pipes from Whifbitz! Thanks

you have to have the Cats on to pass MOT on any car manufactured 1993 onwards regardless of whether its imported or not, just get a straight through decat pipe and stick the Cats back on for your MOT ;)

No you don't

There is no emissions data for a Jspec supra.. so they just test you on the standard emissions data, whatever it is, 3% (cat test is like 0.2%)

A supra with decat running OK will be under 3%

No you don't

There is no emissions data for a Jspec supra.. so they just test you on the standard emissions data, whatever it is, 3% (cat test is like 0.2%)

Really?? iv always been told anything post 1993 has to have them. Awesome il try mine fully decat next time then :)

A lot of people keep the cats and stick them in for MOT, but its a hassel.

My jspec NA has failed twice on emissions on a double decat, but passed the third time with no changes whatsoever. Might just have been a dodgy MOT place, take it to a friendly one, it'll be fine!

Double decat it and enjoy!

This is a good thread on the subject, particularly the flow chart on page 1 posted up by Nic

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?277511-Catalytic-Converter!-Yes-or-No&highlight=flow+chart

From what I can gather, if the car's post 1 August 95 and not specifically on the database (ie an import) it still has a cat test, which means it's done on default limits and includes a visual inspection to ensure the cat is in place.

I could be wrong though...

No you don't

What he said. I passed on emissions and only failed cause the exhaust was too loud. Sorted that with a bung insert.

The tester I used last time went by the year and engine code on the plate. My 1994 used to have a 2JZ-GE so not on the list and regardless of what engine is actually fitted to the car it is tested as a pre 95 with a non specific engine. Mine is a thumping V8 with no cats, emission test sailed through. I didn't try to hide anything to the tester, he was very clear that it should be tested this way. Had the Supra been a 1995 though I'd be stuffed. :)

If I, as a german, have no cat and get cought, I'm in BIG trouble. Since we pay our taxes by the emission class our car has and a catless car decreases this class, I'd be paiing to less tax. So that's considered to be tax dodging.

If you do that with your UK-reged car as a non german, that shouldn't be a problem - I think.