The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Been offered a swap for my supra

LOGIE

My car has serious sentimental value prob cause ive had it since 2007 and within the last year I done an NA-TT which worked out well. I have once or twice considered selling up and trying something else but after giving the car a clean and a full tank and going for a spin the love always came back. BUT there is a guy not far from me who has an S2000 which is in fair condition (mechanically sound just cosmetics that let it down.... same as my supra really) has offered me a swap, its gunmetal and completely stock with a good service history (not full) only faults are the paint could do with a revamp and the soft top has a 1" tear that is taped but the car cones with a hard top.

Im really tempted to take this offer.

Have any of yous ever been offered a swap for anything other than a supra?

Did you regreat it?

im seriously stuck as to what to do.

I know what id do.

Keep the supra.

When i sold my UK spec i vowed that was it no more supras. I drove lots of different things...........ended up back with a supra

I also have a hankering for an evo6 which I cannot shake. Just wish I could afford another car and keep the supra. Just this s2k offer was unexpected and has got me thinking.

The S2000 I felt are pretty good to drive, great handling & easy to get the tail out. Though as long as you don't mind have no rear seats or even space in the boot which is tiny. Great cars & reliable too, you might enjoy it for a while but you'll always come back!

The S2000 I felt are pretty good to drive, great handling & easy to get the tail out. Though as long as you don't mind have no rear seats or even space in the boot which is tiny. Great cars & reliable too, you might enjoy it for a while but you'll always come back!

This was my thinking Abz. Evo6 ticks some boxes the s2k doesn't.

I have owned some great cars in the last few years, but I'm returning to the Supra fold because they are just in a league of their own, and the community is fantastic.

I love S2000s, but I wouldn't choose one over a Supra.

as for the Evo, great cars, but the engine lacks any character. If you want something 4wd, a Skyline GTR or an S model Audi (pref with an I5 or V8) are in a different league imo.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

This is my concern Logie. Has Supras for 8 years now and finding a modern day replacement has not been easy. It is impossible for the same money.

If you ever get to the point where you want to try something else, I would test drive the shit out of a potential replacement. I don't think the S2000 would be in the same league as the Supra but I imagine they are a lot of fun. Depends on what you want out of a car I suppose.

H.

value wise im wondering if I would be getting a good deal? The guy is aware that mine is NA-TT (NA-TT are worth less in many peoples opinion) and he knows the work I put into it. I think id need to add some cash to my supra to get an Evo6... it was just a thought. My feet are spread Benjy but make sure you get my nuts.... dont go to far back as I can fell my piles coming back.

I feel this needs a ban from the forum for even contemplating it

Another reason for contemplating it mate is... a year ago my supra was jusr an NA auto which swap hands for £1500-£2500. ok so I spent a small fortune NA-TTing it but I knew id never raise the value of the car much. So the price of an s2k for NA-TT doesn't seem to daft to me. I know the power will never be the same but s2ks are still good cars and this is a 02 plate I think (got a private plate on)

I just recently went from an S2000 to a Supra, actually owning both for a short time before the S2000 sold. I had the AP1 for two years and enjoyed it a lot, very fun to drive with the spirited motor and the tightest gearbox ever made. Required only regular maintenance and was extremely easy to work on. I even changed the soft top myself in one day :-) It's much smaller then the Supra and there is little space in the cabin and trunk. I haven't tracked my cars, but the Supra is way better when it comes to power and torque. I would also say the Supra is WAY better to daily drive or drive long trips. The S2000 also has an insane clutch buzz that is normal on the cars, but It drove me nuts....

If you decide to check it out you could check the following:

- Water in the trunk where the spare tire is

- Water behind seats (the soft top drains are behind the seats). Also see if you see mold there.

- They are prone to rock chips on the arches behind the front wheels.

- Clutch buzz. When you let of the throttle at 4-5k rpm listen if there are any vibrations or buzzing sounds. Some cars have more noise then the others, it's normal but very annoying!

Also bear in mind unless it has an hardtop you shouldn't park it on the streets as it only takes a knife to open the top. And Airbags/seats are worth more then the car :p

Some pictures :-)

That made me lol..!!

I try...

My feet are spread Benjy but make sure you get my nuts.... dont go to far back as I can fell my piles coming back.

No no, you considered a lawn mower. Your farmers are 'avin' it aswell... :D

I'll just leave this here...

S2000s don't do anything for me. It's not just the smaller size of it: I'd rather have an MX5 than an S2000.

Subjectively, not swapping for an S2000 is a no-brainer for me. The Honda just doesn't seem to bring anything worthwhile to the table to make a swap palatable. If you really like the look of them, then that changes things somewhat. That's one of the main reasons I have a supra and intend to keep it.

You can buy an O2 plate s2000 for 2K. They may be fun but they will never have that same road presence as a supra.

First of all, this is simply not true. Please show me where you can get a 2002 S2000 for £2000? The cheapest I've seen is £5000.

Having owned both, if you like the look and drive of the S2000 then it could be a worth while swap. They are easily sold every spring time.

Personally I found the lack of low down torque frustrating and the motorway cruise at 4000rpm wasn't great, especially considering it's a 6 speed.

Doesn't have anywhere near the same shove in the back as a TT supra, but that's to be expected.

But they are good cars, parts aren't particularly expensive, they have excellent reliability, the electric roof is great once you cut the speed sensor wire going to the control module to allow you to put the roof down while moving. :D

Seats are comfy and the driving position is good. I'd probably have another if it came up for a good price. Mind you, I'd also say the same about a supra. :)