The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anybody else with good BHP feel the same.

little num

Well since my bad crash in 2011 (motorway cops HARTY on youtube) ive been trying to get some confidence back but I just cant seem to drive the car how I used to.

And although I love the supra and speed since making it faster I just seem to be so scared about crashing again, and after all my hard work and money blown on the car I always struggle to drive how I used to.

Its hard to explain but I love the car and like the power (680hp) but soon to be a little bit more with uprated fuel pumps and lines, but I wish I could get out of my head about crashing, everytime I use the car all I think about is crashing or blowing it up, the little 1JZ is fully built and will hold the power easy and all the time im driving it all I think is im going to crash or I can hear noise's from the engine lol.

I still do trackdays and im still fast but I still don't drive the car how I want or used to, do you think I will eventually overcome the fear or do I need to see somebody.

Or am I just getting old and see the dangers more im only 35 but see things differently since the crash.

More power and now im so scared of going round corners as all I think in the backend is going to come out and ill crash.

So after reading that do you think im turning gay or just need to give it time and I will overcome the fears I have ?????

Bearing in mind after my roll 6 times I couldn't feel my legs for several hours after and honestly thought I was paralysed, and i wasent doing anything silly just hit ice.

To be fair we shouldn't be driving too hard on the public highways anyway, or at least not while there's witnesses around :sly:

I was in a head on collision when I was 18 and for a few weeks afterwards I did get the odd flash back and moment of worry while driving but I found it made me a better and more responsible driver. When I drive I'm constantly imagining everything working and doing it's job...from the suspension movement to the tyres and how they flex in corners, it's just what I do.

I can imagine your fears about losing the back end out sideways on corners, I've done it a few times (more on purpose than of it's own accord) and can honestly say I've never taken a corner in the Supra like I would of in any of my old FWD cars purely because I'm not confident that I'm experienced enough to maintain the slide and bring it back safely.

I would like to get into drifting one day so that I can fully understand how to control RWD cars properly and confidently but alas money won't permit it yet.

On a slightly side note I also recommend working on your car yourself as much as possible because I believe it provides me with the knowledge that If I know how something works and I understand it then I can trust it more, the more I trust it the better a driver I believe I can be.

I hope my jibberish helps somewhat lol

Edited by Fizzy T (see edit history)

Guest FullAttack

I can't drive fast on roads anymore.. Don't have the bottle for the unknown.. I fully engage c**t mode when I get a helmet on and out on track though;)

Maybe do a few track days where your in a controlled environment.. Get up Santa pod for a drift practice day, got play pens to learn how to control the car, as well as a decent size track. If you let me know in advance I'll come up and give you some pointers:) (I'm a BDC driver btw;) )

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

I've been in several potentially fatal accidents (always a passenger), and have found that 'getting back on the horse' is the best way of getting over it. Perhaps think about getting something a bit easier to handle to start with (MX5 or 200sx), just to get some confidence back in RWD driving. Maybe a few track days too.

Cricky that's an awful crash.

I am sure you already feel like every day is a bonus, as you easily could have been killed.

I use to crave more power and speed myself, although now I just love the car and cruising around at the speed limit.

Much more enjoyable, cheaper to run, and less chance of getting into any trouble too.

The car is a classic now, and nothing wrong with treating it like one.

I certainly hope you manage to step out of the circle you seem to be stuck in at present, a change in direction can often work wonders.

All the best buddy ;)

The crash will always be in the back of mind , being scared in a supra because of the power is what makes it appealing,

But I would have to say your getting old and thinking more about your family if the worst did happen rather then just your self as we do when we are younger behind the wheel.

You can go stupid on the track too a degree as most have half decent run offs but on the road there is not such luxury. Its not that your getting old its more that you are growing up ;)

Cricky that's an awful crash.

I am sure you already feel like every day is a bonus, as you easily could have been killed.

I use to crave more power and speed myself, although now I just love the car and cruising around at the speed limit.

Much more enjoyable, cheaper to run, and less chance of getting into any trouble too.

The car is a classic now, and nothing wrong with treating it like one.

I certainly hope you manage to step out of the circle you seem to be stuck in at present, a change in direction can often work wonders.

All the best buddy ;)

Absolutely correct advice

Christ James, you seemed to have no problem with confidence on DB14.

I like a brisk drive but I don't take the risks I used to as a younger driver. I am 40 this time and I'd like to think I have grown up a bit compared to when I was 20 or even 30. Don't get me wrong, on an open national speed limit road or motorway slip road, I will give any car the beans but I now have passengers more often than not and it just isn't worth taking chances in that scenario.

Having also been a member of the fuzz, I had my fair share of pulling people out of vehicles or seeing the result of unnecessary risks so that in itself makes you consider the consequences.

H.

I turned my Supra in to a GT because it's not suited to hustling on UK roads, better to demolish miles. I think to enjoy a good hustle takes a different kind of beast. The GT86 for all it's underpowered complaints is actually perfect. Small and nimble, but because it doesn't have the power you have time to mash the throttle enjoy it building. It's like 600's vs 1000's in the bike road, I have a 1000, but am kinda jealous of the 600's and the time they can spend wringing the neck of their motor on the road (before exceeding limits/sensible speeds).

Sometimes less is more (fun).

I dont blame you after that crash , when something like that happens it puts things into perspective on how quick things can go wrong and makes you wonder what could of happened .Even with a roll cage best seats etc a 680 hp supra shifts its not always going to save you . I ended up side down in a ditch filled with water last year in my work car , it was contact with another car its really suprising at 70 in the wet in a spin how the car is like on ice.

I used to drive like I stole my cars but a bit older now not to mention the quality of the roads and the law are so hot on it now , also what happens if you kill someone else and they prove you were doing big speed or driving like a idiot and its getting easier with jo public and car cameras you are looking at a sentance probably lose your job etc.

You know your way round a supra I wouldnt worry about blowing it up .I would get out on track maybe go solo if you go with others you might feel inclined to push your limit to early just build it back up slowly mate you don't have to be fastest out on track main thing is you enjoy yourself.

Cheers guys, I generally don't drive that fast on roads but do like to feel the power.

It's the tracks that I don't feel confident on, I used to drive so fast round corners and never thought of anything going wrong, but now all I think is something is going to go wrong, so that obviously has and is effecting my driving.

In my mind I'm going to do what I used to but when I'm doing it I find my right foot on the brake instead of the throttle, just very strange how I want to drive fast on tracks but can't actually do it.

I think if silverstone don't break me then I'll prob sell the car after and buy a motorbike lol.

When I'm out on the track it's not the car's capabilities or limitations I'm struggling to forget about. You can obviously drive the wheels off a car compared to the majority of us, but you seem to be lacking a bit of self confidence and perhaps an hour or two of full-on tuition with someone you'd consider a master behind the wheel would see some good results.

I should really follow my own advise and get some sort of driving instruction to make me faster but even just being a passenger once in my own track car with a bona fide touring car driver behind the wheel & hearing his opinion on the car & its current set-up gave me an awful lot more confidence in the car's capabilities & spurred me on to hit the brakes harder nearer the corner when I retook the driver's seat.

I agree, I certainly have more fun on my 650 than I did on my 1100 ;)

I turned my Supra in to a GT because it's not suited to hustling on UK roads, better to demolish miles. I think to enjoy a good hustle takes a different kind of beast. The GT86 for all it's underpowered complaints is actually perfect. Small and nimble, but because it doesn't have the power you have time to mash the throttle enjoy it building. It's like 600's vs 1000's in the bike road, I have a 1000, but am kinda jealous of the 600's and the time they can spend wringing the neck of their motor on the road (before exceeding limits/sensible speeds).

When I'm out on the track it's not the car's capabilities or limitations I'm struggling to forget about. You can obviously drive the wheels off a car compared to the majority of us, but you seem to be lacking a bit of self confidence and perhaps an hour or two of full-on tuition with someone you'd consider a master behind the wheel would see some good results.

I don`t go out with him now...he scares the crap out of me:D

Yeah, i agreed. Thats the reason why i have my SZ-R. I love to drive it in the twisties and it is a very capable car. It is still a fast car -not silly fast of course-but it accelerate quite rapidly to the speeds which could be lethal, and it has a high level of grip. Power of course is easily controllable, and you can really wring it when you are hooning. Still, it has same performance than the new Golf GTI but it doesn't get any of those electric safety nannies what modern motor has (except ABS). When you fucked up things, it's up to you can you recover that situation or not. So I would say that this is somehow a dangerous car to drive and it does only have a 220hp. Have to say tho, i love old sports cars cos you really have to drive them (Like GT86). You have to make work to get best performance out of them, but in the same time you really control that car. It is a sensational feeling!

I never driven a really high hp Supra, but it must be a like a monster. You know, modern supercar level performance without electric nannies and a little bit of surprising way of deliver power. All the modern supercars have nannies so driving in wet surface is not a problem. Supra has none of those :D I remember when old british motor journo was interviewed and he was asked what kind of car is a Ferrari F40 in wet. He said that when F40 goes to boost it instantly started to spin rear wheels. When he changed to higher gears and tried to keep revs lower, it only makes things worse. Rear wheels just started to spin more faster---------->and then he spins out. Happened few times before he learned to keep it in track. And that beast got only 500hp...

I appreciate every kind of Supra's and i hope that everyone enjoys their car. It really is worth it. Respect it, drive it hard and keep things safety :hi:

It's called sense, self preservation and learning. Just be thankful there was no lasting physical damage, it takes a big accident to teach some folk that they are not immortal :)

My wife and I knew a track dayer well, and mainly on my push he decided to take up racing. He was just TOO confident though, and aggressive, a red mist came down overwhelming ALL common sense. He got killed on track. Many were surprised he lasted two seasons. Stay the right side of feeling happy and in control, motorsport is NOT enjoyable if you feel the need to push the car or yourself beyond a certain zone. You ain't being paid for this lark!