The mkiv Supra Owners Club

alloy wheel fitment question

sean2kuk

Evening people....

im after a nice set of wheels for my supra tt and the ones im liking are the XXR 531 in platinum

on reading the add it says afew numbers which to be honest I dont understand....is there some wheel boffin who can clear this up...

initially I look at the 18" XXR 531 11j rears and 9.5 fronts ET20 .....after talking to srd he said I would need arch work which is something im not interested in at all

then I found the same wheels (18")as a 8.5j on all 4 alloys...ET35..5x112 & 5x120 with a hub of 73.1mm

anyone know if these will be ok....?

I have uk brakes also

I currently have 18's at 8.5j all round and have 10mm spacers just to push the wheel out to arch.....

Thanks

Edited by sean2kuk (see edit history)

As I said to you, 11j wheel with a 20 offset will need a lot of work to fit, probably an extended arch

Jamie ran the 9.5j ET 20 on the back and needed the arches rolling

Any wheel that fills the arch will need it rolling or cutting

All the guys running wide wheels (11.5j ect) run an ET50

Found a set on japshop......it says ET20 ...8.5j

would I have any issues at that....?

What does this ET mean?

ET is the offset of the rim. If you had an 8" rim with ET0 then the mounting face would be in the centre of the width and you would have 4" of rim inside the mounting and 4" of rim outside the mounting. ET20 means that the mounting face of the rim is 20mm outside the centre of the rim (20mm towards the outside). So if you have an 8" rim with ET20 you would have 121.6mm inside the mounting and 81.6mm outside the mounting. Once mounted on the car the ET20 rim sits further in and is less likely to need arch rolling etc.

Clearly the wider the rims the larger the ET (offset) needed to avoid arch rolling. However there is a limit because as offset increases the inwards projection of the rim and tyre increases and there comes appoint where contact occurs with the strut.

Stock Supra wheel/tyre sizes

Front: wheels 17x8 +50, tyres 235/45ZR17

Rear: wheels 17x9.5 +50, tyres 255/40ZR17

http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-531-Wheels-s/1674.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=1674&show=150&page=1&f-18%20inch%20wheels=614

Looking at the sizes available the following would probably be the best fitment if you don't want to roll the arches, the outer rim will be close to flush with the arches but as long as you don't go too wide with the tyres they should just fit.

I have no idea if these will clear the larger 4pot/2pot Supra brake calipers though, this will depend on the design and size of the wheels, normally clearance problems are between the front face of the 4pot front calipers and the rear face of the front wheel spokes.

Front: 18x8.5 +35

Rear: 18x9.5 +35

Edited by Nic (see edit history)