The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T Cruising/boosting Q

SupraP-Z

Ok so having the W58 5 speed box is a bit of a set back in terms of turboing the supe, I have a few questions about driving on the motorway. As far as im aware, the turbo will kick in at anything between 3-4k revs depending on the set up...now if im cruising 80mph down the motorway in 5th gear, im at around 3k revs already, am I always going to be on boost at that point? I wont have any gears left to shift to.

With the 6 speed you would shift to 6th and the revs would drop, allowing you to cruise off boost?

How do you guys normally drive on the motorways?

The 6 speeds are closer ratios so 80 in 6th will see the same revs as a 5 speed at 80. So it makes no difference really.

If my thinking is right, the turbo would in theory be spinning at cruising speeds but wont be positively boosting as mattdavies said. It's not like the car will accelerate by itself or anything.

Brilliant, everything is starting to piece together. Still trying to get my head around how it would drive as a small single - thanks for the info guys :)

Mine literally drove exactly as it did when it was NA until you put your foot down and it's under load/building boost and then you take off :D You may lose a little bit of responsiveness but it's hardly noticeable and certainly doesn't affect the drive.

Mine literally drove exactly as it did when it was NA until you put your foot down and it's under load/building boost and then you take off :D You may lose a little bit of responsiveness but it's hardly noticeable and certainly doesn't affect the drive.

Sounds like the kinda car i want to have! I wish I could sit in an NA-T, want to see what its like! Im itching!!!