The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vibrations and grinding sound from rear and boot when letting off throttle

Brazil

I have recently had my car back on the road after sitting for almost 2 years getting a single turbo install and tonight when going for a short drive I am hearing a grinding sound from the rear and a rattle from the trunk which I am thinking its from vibrations.

Also when I had the car a ramp to get the car aligned it was pointed out to me that there was oil leaking from seals where the diff mates with the drive shaft?

What do you guys think the issue could be?

The rattle from the trunk is most likely your boot seals are worn.

New seals should/will cure that.

The grinding I can't help with but if you are leaking oil from the diff I would get the oil checked/changed and a new seal there too

I have new boot seals, I will check them out but the rattle only accurs when I hear the grinding sound.

If the diff has lost its oil it wont last long before its knackered i'm afraid

I stopped as soon as it started to make the sound, and its not making the sound all the time so I have given its best chance of fixing something before it gets worst so will just have to see.

The oil should be new since it was changed during the project.

If you have been losing diff oil you need to see how much is actually in the diff, if the diff has suffered

premature wear due to lack of oil then there could be particles of metal in the oil

Check this but i think it should have 1.5 litres in it

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have recently had my car back on the road after sitting for almost 2 years getting a single turbo install and tonight when going for a short drive I am hearing a grinding sound from the rear and a rattle from the trunk which I am thinking its from vibrations.

Also when I had the car a ramp to get the car aligned it was pointed out to me that there was oil leaking from seals where the diff mates with the drive shaft?

What do you guys think the issue could be?

I'd be checking this first as the oil can only come from the diff, if your getting it on a ramp it'll

only take a few minutes to drain it and then you'll know exactly how much oil its lost etc

Even if this isn't the cause of the noise the leak needs fixing ;)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I went to a local garage but his ramp was too steep and i cant get on it, typical Portuguese garage design...!

Any how here is photo, can anybody confirm that they are very confident that oil leaked and once i hear the noise coming of throttle its good bye diff?

That doesn't look like 1.5 litres of oil has come out. 1.5 litres would make a real mess underneath. Check rear hub bearings aren't breaking up, ceck oil as dnk said, be SURE to see the filler plug will come out BEFORE you drain it.... How many hours did it run on the rolling road before mapping? Any oil around the rollers?

The rear bearings where replaced with new ones the only time they would of got used is on the dyno. Also it only makes noise when i let of the throttle, sometimes it goes away for short period of times. The car makes no noise when making full lock circles.

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)

Sounds like the diff may be on its way out, small facelift diffs don't like single turbo power, I'd change to a big case diff.

What is all I need to upgrade the diff? Big case diff, drive shafts and axles? What bushings do you recommend Super bro or OEM?