The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance power declaration

Lez

Hi everyone, I thought I’d come and join you now that I’ve just traded my MkIII turbo in for an import MkIV NA. I plan to try and go to as many meets as possible and contribute to this forum as I did to smaller but very friendly MkIII lot.

This is my second MkIV, but unlike my previous one, a Targa, this one comes with some mods. I should declare them to my insurance but they will ask me what the power increase is, so I need your help, can someone give me a ballpark figure for these mods;

HKS Super Mega Flow air induction kit – 1504-ST024

HKS Muffler – 3203-ST011TU

Taken from the mass of Japanese fitting instructions found in the glove compartment.

The car also has;

TEIN type HR springs & shocks

F & R top suspension cross braces

18” alloys 235/40/18 & 265/35/18

which I know doesn’t increase power but are non-stock items.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I'd either say a very very low percentage, or no increase at all. There's no way the insurance company can verify what you say, so you might as well pay as little as possible. I had loads of insurance quotes and I think only Direct Line asked about actual power increases.

do na and tts suffer from drawing in heat then if you fit an induction kit, usually resulting in a loss of power rather than a gain??

Is it better to keep the standard box and fit an uprated panel filter?

Depends who you ask. Surprisingly, the folks that sell them say they're great!:D

Chris Wilson recommends the stock airbox and filter for superior filtration and more than adequate airflow up to at least 500bhp. Also, as you mentioned, the stock one doesn't suck up so much of the heat from the engine bay.

So I should either convert back to a stock filter intake (which I don't have) or custum build a cold air intake/shroud for the HKS.

So what I originally told the insurance company, that it had a different filter with no power gain, was intuatively correct.

So I should either convert back to a stock filter intake (which I don't have) or custum build a cold air intake/shroud for the HKS.
Up to you mate. It's not doing much good but then it's probably not doing much harm either. Some folks buy them for the sound. I'm converting my VVTi back to Std airbox this weekend.
So what I originally told the insurance company, that it had a different filter with no power gain, was intuatively correct.
Yeah, most likely.

By the way Lez, there's no apostrophe in "Toyotas" (in your Sig)

Building your own cold air box/heatshield is an easy and cheap way of improving matters and personalising your car :thumbs:

Those green mushroom filters aren't highly thought of by some people, seems like they don't actually filter much - I've heard of two Skylines that ingested so much grit through these that the turbos failed and one of them had serious engine wear as well. I've not heard of similar problems on a Supra though, so /shrug :)

-Ian

I had the HKS filter removed a few months ago and replaced with the standard box. During the end of summer the car felt much better, especially after sitting in traffic. My car didn't like the heat, felt very sluggish. Now it's winter it doesn't really feel any different, just a lot quieter.

I'd just tell them that the mods are cosmetic, i.e. fitted to give a nice noise.