The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a turbo conversion how much does it cost

rg500

Hi there, Just wondered if it was worth converting my N/A as want more power now is there anyone on here that could do a conversion if so how much does it cost, also what would be the implications on the insurance on converting or is it worth just selling and getting a TT, Just that I know my car and was reluctant to get another car what I don't know.

Thanks.

3k for engine and box insurance will mostly just count it as a tt. Imo unless you have an aero or spent alot on body mods id sell and buy a tt save alot of hassle

This.

IMO I think with a 5 speed box, or a NA auto box, for the money you spend to get it done, you end up with less power than a BPU. I bet by the time you sold your car you could almost pick up a TT auto, Bpu it cheaply, and nearly have a fair few quid towards buying a six speed if you wished to go that route.

I'm not totally against the idea though as Josh42's car was/is stunning so was well worth doing it too, I would just be against doing it to mine as it's done 85k miles and I couldn't hack having to buy another W58 gearbox (it's my daily so could afford any issues)

This.

IMO I think with a 5 speed box, or a NA auto box, for the money you spend to get it done, you end up with less power than a BPU. I bet by the time you sold your car you could almost pick up a TT auto, Bpu it cheaply, and nearly have a fair few quid towards buying a six speed if you wished to go that route.

I'm not totally against the idea though as Josh42's car was/is stunning so was well worth doing it too, I would just be against doing it to mine as it's done 85k miles and I couldn't hack having to buy another W58 gearbox (it's my daily so could afford any issues)

Totally agree with graham on this I'm now saving for a TT :)

We've got a full body resprayed aerotop so it has to be worth our while going N/A-T as a TT transplant is no cheap option either especially if you then intend on going on to a single conversion. If you look at the recent black TT aerotop that sold recently in a good condition was considered cheap at £8500 then I'd need to lay out another £4k on top of what I bought my N/A for in order to upgrade and then I'd have to wait for a black one to come up which happens once n any given blue moon!! Agreed though that a lot of cars it is not worth doing either job.

As above David P's solution is a great option though for people considering it if happy to be auto.

Personally I still stand by the opinion that certain spec cars wouldn't be worth it, whereas if you are lucky enough to be Josh42 or Fosta for example (apologies to those I forgot) that have a stunning car visually etc then that's where the rules change, and it becomes a far more viable/good option of what way to go. I hate the idea of spending more than my NA is worth on making it have less power than a BPU while still being an "okay car" with more power, on an old 5speed box and a 20 year old engine.

If your car is low miles then that's a plus. I should of/would of gone that route when I got the car with 43k miles on the clock rather than now. I find after looking on this forum that quite a few decent TT's can be picked up cheap if you have the money waiting, plus iirc Barney Brendan got a load of BPU parts for around £200 by getting 2nd hand decats etc.

If you can source all the parts mostly secondhand, and you are competent in your mechanical skills, then I would say NA-T. Its not exactly an easy job, as mentioned above, its a 20 year old engine (pretty much bulletproof at that) but still. It will take a lot of work to get 100%, but if you can do most of it yourself, it is way cheaper than dropping a TT engine in. The limit will be your w58 gearbox upto around 400bhp, engine wise you will have breathing space up until around 550 - 600bhp with supporting modifications, before you need to consider changing things.

I would say NA-T it if you are patient and want something slightly different

If you know which end to pick up a spanner, N/A-T with a Hybrid transmission is an economical route for up to 600bhpftlb, but for spannerlexics it's cheaper to buy a T.T. or a pre tinkered Supra.

I know what end to pick up a spanner at, but when it's in my hand I wouldn't have a F'kin clue how to go NA-T.

I know what end to pick up a spanner at, but when it's in my hand I wouldn't have a F'kin clue how to go NA-T.[/quote

Knowing that lefty is loosey and righty is tighty, have you achieved your over 10k posts on here whilst blindfolded? ;)

May as well of been.

Personally I am **** at doing things like that so there's no point me cocking it up when I need to get to work hassle free, hence why I would have to pay someone. Regardless I don't have the finances to waste money on going NA-T anyway sadly.