The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Phil's SRD3000GT project thread

Phlukey

Thought it was probably best to start a new project thread detailing my journey with my Supra which was previously John's (Hodge) TRD widebody car, which has become affectionately known as 'The Kraken'. Most people on the forum seem to know the car and are aware of its current spec from John's original build thread ( http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?196108-Hodge-s-(The-Kraken)-Supra-build ) so I won't go into that.

Having owned her for a short while now, I decided I wanted to make a few changes to better suit what I'd like from the car and also sort out a few other things on the way. I went down to see Lee at SRD after all the good things I'd seen and heard and after a long chat with him about what I wanted and how would be best to go about achieving this, I left the car in SRDs capable hands for the work to be carried out. I told Lee there was no rush or deadline, as I wouldn't need the car back until at least next summer.

Perhaps the biggest change I wanted to make was the turbo setup. I know some people may disagree with this choice, due to the lengths Hodge went to to obtain and fit the GT47 T6 kit. I know it looks amazing when you pop the bonnet too, but I decided the driving experience was more important to me. I wanted something a bit more 'streetable' with better spool, but I didn't want to sacrifice too much power for this, as the sledge hammer like kick up the arse from the GT47 when it comes on boost is addictive :D After some discussion over which Turbo setup would be best for the job, it was decided that the soon to be released Precision Turbo PT6870 would be the best candidate. Reported figures for this turbo sound awesome, with the spool of a 67mm and the power of a 71+mm unit. Unfotunately I can't just change out the turbo, as the GT47 is a T6 setup, so I will be using a new Zircotec white ceramic coated Whifbitz T4 manifold with twin Turbosmart external waste gates (with screamer pipes).

Also, my gearbox was annoying me as it was crunching a bit into 3rd when shifting at high revs and was becoming very tight when it got warm. So SRD removed the box and it is currently at Jacks Transmissions in the US having a complete overhaul. I know it's a long way to send it, but these guys are meant to be the best when it comes to V160's (just look at the detail they go into with the V160 on their website). I know these boxes are meant to be a nightmare to overhaul and the last thing I wanted was the chance of more / different issues post overhaul.

Other work to be carried out includes installing a brace kit to the main bearing caps for added bottom end strength (an alternative to having billet mains and all the necessary machining work required to Fit them), new HKS mk2 adjustable cam gears (tougher gear teeth) and gates belt and also installation of a flex fuel sensor to allow me to run Ethanol in the future. I'm sure there'll be more too, but I'll update later lol.

Lee has kindly agreed to update this thread as the work goes on with details and photos etc. so everyone on here can see what's going on as the work progresses. Can't wait to get her back already :D

Edited by Phlukey (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Gonna be good this dude, that new turbo sounds awesome too, and nice to see someone here finally using Jackd transmission they are indeed the best where the v160/v161 is concerned, also with regards to the bracing kit I thought it worked out about the same as doing billet main caps?

Gonna be good this dude, that new turbo sounds awesome too, and nice to see someone here finally using Jackd transmission they are indeed the best where the v160/v161 is concerned, also with regards to the bracing kit I thought it worked out about the same as doing billet main caps?

Gonna be good this dude, that new turbo sounds awesome too, and nice to see someone here finally using Jacks transmission they are indeed the best where the v160/v161 is concerned, also with regards to the bracing kit I thought it worked out about the same as doing billet main caps?

Gonna be good this dude, that new turbo sounds awesome too, and nice to see someone here finally using Jacks transmission they are indeed the best where the v160/v161 is concerned, also with regards to the bracing kit I thought it worked out about the same as doing billet main caps?

I think he thinks this build will be a good one. :D

I don't think the brace kit is AS strong as having billet mains, as if it was, then people just wouldn't bother going to the expense and effort of having billet mains fitted anymore. I'm sure Lee will know the definitive answer to that though.

The name change dilemma may end up having to go to a vote Kaan lol

As far as pics go Geo, I haven't got a lot to offer yet as I live a fair distance from SRD, but I'm sure Lee will update the thread with some good pics of what's going on soon.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by Phlukey (see edit history)

I don't think the brace kit is AS strong as having billet mains, as if it was, then people just wouldn't bother going to the expense and effort of having billet mains fitted anymore. I'm sure Lee will know the definitive answer to that though.

The name change dilemma may end up having to go to a vote Kaan lol

As far as pics go Geo, I haven't got a lot to offer yet as I live a fair distance from SRD, but I'm sure Lee will update the thread with some good pics of what's going on soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]191820[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]191821[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]191822[/ATTACH]

I have read up on the brace kit as I'm having the same fitted, although I would have wanted the billet main caps but it's a lot of work and Im not aiming for 1000bhp. Billet main caps are required when your running over 1000bhp then there's a risk, under 800/900 even 1000 stock main caps have been fine. But it's pushing the luck when your over 1000, brace kit has be proven to hold high power just research threads, but under 900 it is really piece of mind having them added. The grids have been proven to hold the bottom end on 1500bhp cars.

People on here have been running 7/800bhp on stock main caps fine, but adding the grid like I have stated is giving you piece of mind.

Edited by jazz1 (see edit history)