The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo and autobox

Tommyd16

Its not so much bhp you've got to worry about, its torque and heat that kills an autobox. There are a few things you can do though to prolong the length of the stock autobox. You can fit a couple of transmission coolers which will cool the gearbox fluid. Also if you are going to be running a Syvecs, you can have the torque limited during the gearchanges to take the pressure of the box and then the torque will be fed back in when the gearchange is complete. Regarding power, my dad had 607bhp and 560lbft on a stock auto controlled by a Syvecs and the stock box lasted just over a year. If your budget would stretch to a built auto such as a Boostlogic, Titan, SRD built box then I'd highly recommend that option.

Awesome. Best start saving for a single then! What supporting mods are you running mellonman?

what for the auto box or all in ?

Auto box I have

2 large transmission oil coolers while retaining the toyota radiator core cooler/heater

keeping the radiator cooler/heat is just as important for the life of the trans as cold oil can also cause damage ,

well depends on how big you budget is but I have :-

AEM FIC 8 piggy back ecu

630cc injectors

400lph fuel pump + fuel pump ecu relay mod

pulsation dumpener bypass

fuel preasure regulator

top feed fuel rail that match injectors

AEM wide band o2 sensor

T6765 .68 dbb turbo

mainfold

hks wastegate

hks intercooler + piping

apexi avcr boost controler

apexi adjustable BOV

3" down and mid pipe

3.5 " cat back exhaust

K&N air filter + piping

idle control valve filter

turbo blanket

oil lines

water line

breather pipes with catch can

heat wrap for exhaust

I think that all but when doing a single build there are so many little bits and bob's you forget or didnt even realise you have to do

Mine lasted until the next day after I bought the car at 580bhp, then.sourced another low mileage one which last 5 weeks. I suppose it's how often, how long and how hard you wish to drive.

A built auto is a must for a small single imo, but it's worth using the stock box with some coolers until you go built.

i was running 558bhp on stock box for loads of time! not problem

i then went on big twins running over 650bhp for ages on stock autobox!

Yes but you drove it like a girl Rob :p

Re the ops question although it's basically been answered a couple of oil coolers for the autobox and a syvecs so Ryan can cap the torque

Edited by thetrashcanman (see edit history)

Mine lasted until the next day after I bought the car at 580bhp, then.sourced another low mileage one which last 5 weeks. I suppose it's how often, how long and how hard you wish to drive.

A built auto is a must for a small single imo, but it's worth using the stock box with some coolers until you go built.

Kaan

i think yours was abit down to luck as well as how you drive you car , i have done track days ,santapod and generally drive my car hard and i must have done 10k miles on my single turbo set up and its already done 150k so it is a testiment to the stock box

Kaan

i think yours was abit down to luck as well as how you drive you car , i have done track days ,santapod and generally drive my car hard and i must have done 10k miles on my single turbo set up and its already done 150k so it is a testiment to the stock box

What about lengthy 4th gear pulls, that's what does it ;) As well as bad luck of course.

Really want a single now! I'm full BPU already with FMIC and have an oil cooler for the autobox already - just not fitted yet. Have been looking at this kit. Should have the majority of stuff to make a good start

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-2107.html

Having just put a deposit on a new little car so the Supra will be just a weekend toy rather than my daily vehicle going single is very tempting!! I think I better start reading up on it................