The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Technology

Geo

So as i've been out the loop with a Supra for a while, and with my Engine build going on, once thats complete i'll be looking at a Turbo set up. So whats the latest Tech at the moment? With my Previous car it had a non-billet T67 .68ar and i really enjoyed everything about that tubby. It made 712bhp 600lbs/ft. With what i kinda have planned is a savage street car. I have no use for 800+ power, more so up here on Roads that are terrible and mostly wet all the time.

With that being said, gimi the low down on the Latest tech :)

So you read about trims and all that jazz. Is it the trim that makes the difference between a Z and an R on HKS turbo's or just the fandangled intake on the Z?

How do these GT3582's work in relation to the old school T67 72 88 etc?

Odd question but what sort of size turbo's do diesels run and are they stronger or weaker than petrol equivalents?

I know a few diesels run variable vane turbo's now, are variable vane turbo's available on the aftermarket for petrol cars or is there no point because of longer rev ranges?

T04Z is still available from HKS.

Plus, I think all of the HKS turbos are based on Garrett units? Certainly most of them are. Precision used to do the same before Garrett stopped supplying them.

Garrett make all of the HKS turbos, the T04Z is still available from HKS and Garrett

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/turbo/universal/to4/index.html

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-055&Category_Code=GTB

I've always loved the GTX35r, looks like an amazing turbo. Quicker spool than the old GT35r (which was silly quick) and flows more at the same time. Amazing street turbo.

The GTX3582R would be my turbo of choice, mated to an HKS single turbo setup kit.

Odd question but what sort of size turbo's do diesels run and are they stronger or weaker than petrol equivalents?

Diesel turbos are designed to work at lower temperatures, they won't last long at the hotter exhaust temps produced by a petrol engine.

I wasn't recomending the T04z, I was just trying to point out that on the road you won't notice a great deal of difference between an old school turbo and the latest ones out there, picking the correct turbo for the setup/engine with the correct size .ar and wheels is more important than getting the lightest billet wheel available.

ive always been a big Precision fan myself, my GEN2 6266, spools very fast (full boost at 3200rpm) and will do 700bhp with ease when I fit some cams.

I was impressed with the borg Warner FMW 61 I had on the duck though, cheap turbo and overlaying the goose and duck graphs there was nothing between them.

Diesel turbos are designed to work at lower temperatures, they won't last long at the hotter exhaust temps produced by a petrol engine.

So in all reality if my onset of the nee naaah noise on my 530D turns out to be a turbo on its way out then looking at a petrol T61 or smaller sized turbo on a custom manifold with waste gate might not be that bad an idea as long as I can push enough diesel in to cope with the additional available air?

I would look out for a Gen2 CEA turbo from Precision.

Like Jamie's current turbo, 700bhp potential and almost no lag.

If you're not chasing big numbers, I would go for a Gen2 CEA 6266 (rated 800bhp) or maybe a Gen2 CEA 6466. Everything above will give you a lot more power. My CEA 6766 pushed 840 at the hubs ... impossible to use in the wet as I have to run semi-slick tires in the dry to have traction in 3rd gear.

I went with a borg warner as they can be repaired/rebuilt cheaply, if a precision fails you may as well bin it.

The failure rate on BWs seems quite high though, I know of several just off this forum.

Personally, even if it means sacrificing a little performance, I would rather go with either Mitsubishi/IHI or Garrett.