The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing blended bodywork

listy

More a question for the future really.

How much off a ballache is it to remove blended bodywork? (Skirts and rear bumper)

At some point I want to tae the Supra back to stock(ish) body (hopefully wider though) but the skirts and rear bumper are blended in.

I'm guessing it will cause a fair bit of mess. Is it something I could do at home? (With some guidance) or is it best to get a bodyshop to do it all?

Always like to save some money, hence the question.

TIA

When you say wider, do you mean Nur motorsport wings/ rear quarters?

:sly::eyebrows:

I'm not sure yet. I know the NUR wings are best fit by removing the rear quarter and replacing it with the wings.

For a while though, it will be stock rear arches (mine has had an aggresive roll and pull anyway), maybe JDL extensions, as I have a pair in the garage. Not sure on the front though, either NUR or DoLuck, as I want to try and keep stock(ish) lines. Ridox wide is a no as it's been done too many times in recent years, plus it would never compare to Add Heywoods one.

It's a while off yet, but as it's coming off the road soon, and I need a new front bumper, if I can get hold of the stock bits, then I could get started.

Rear bumper isnt too bad few hours of sanding should remove the blending, and its all nice and flat no tight/awkward spaces

skirts are a different matter because of the the size of the area and if its smoothed in the door shuts as mine were, its probobly smoothed in the groove that runs along the shut, as mine were :( which is a PITA to get the sander in so its hand sanding work, but its probobly only few hours graft to remove the excess, then the more gentle sanding can start

Might be worth using a dremmel and a thin cutting disc to cut the filler between panels, so you can remove them. Then a different attachment to sand the awkward bits back.

Whichever way you look at it, there's going to be a lot of hours work to remove the skirts/bumper in a decent fashion, and it's going to need a lot of paint. Both rear 1/4's will need blending up the rear pillars and into the front doors, rear bumper will probably need doing aswell to get a good match. If the skirts are blended onto the front wings, they'll need doing too, again blending into the doors, new front bumper, again will need paint... You're a bonnet, roof and bootlid away from a full paint job. You may aswell go NUR straight away if that's your plan mate or it'll need painting twice.

The panel gaps are just filled in on the rear bumper (I think)

The skirts are fully blended in the shuts :( and I think just panel gaps everywhere else again.

The current front wings will be replaced with stock or wider wings, so not fussed about those really. Would like them to come off in one piece if possible, as they are a rather rare and unique part.

Depending on what happens in the next 6 months (Supra may get sold to fund a house purchase) depends what happens with it.

I'd love to keep it, as nigh on all the age related stuff has been replaced in the last 2 years by myself or Whifbitz. If I sold it and got a new one down the line, I'm at risk of having to fork out for it all again :(

Easiest thing to do.... Sell up and buy a stock Supra, that way you'll save time and money ;) :D

You're Supra looks amazing how she is, are you sure you want to put her back to stock? I think she looks awesome already :cool:

Thanks mate :) I just fancy a bit of a change. I have this amazing image in my head that doesn't get seen very often ;)