The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie needs help please

Guest Dayl26

Hi all apologies for my grammar in advance.. I have just purchased my first supra n/a auto aerotop 1993 import. my question is having looked under the hood I have a pod filter which is getting warm air in and seems to be lacking power I am looking for an oem air box cai but can not find any anywhere what would my best option regarding after market cold air intakes? Are they easy to fit? Will the pod filter what's already on make the car lose power? Am a big noob and don't no much about cars tbh :( any advice or point me in the right direction for a cold air intake would be appreciated thanks dayl

First of all welcome to the club ....the open air filter will be losing power because like you say its sucking in hot air, you better off looking for a standard air intake and put a new filter in ....or if you cannot find one there are people that have enclosed / boxed in the filter away from the heat of the engine have a look and use the search button for help ......there are traders on here that may have a second hand air box ...good luck in your search

Cheers

-Ian-

I think you will find the majority of members here will agree that the stock airbox is the most efficient with an aftermarket panel filter, but they are hard to come by.

You can make youself a heat shield using some aluminium sheet from B&Q, I did that myself and found it did help but TBH without an extra intake on the bonnet it's always going to get hot under there. Best bet is to ask around for a stock box or get a local engineering firm to build you a new unit unless your handy enough to do it yourself ;)

Not sure about the N/A's but in all honesty there was hardly any difference in performance on my TT when I took my stock airbox out and put a cone filter on but that's just my experience.

Good luck anyway pal

Thanks for the advice snipertt I will try.. Make one myself if nothing pops up. Have being trying to upload pics but won't let me basically on the car it's got an aftermarket rad and don't seem like theirs any room for airflow above it Is that where the oem air box gets it's cold air? I ain't a Clue at all last car i had was a mondeo lol this supra new to me but have fell in love with it already :)

Give Toyota a call and see how much a new OE airbox is, air feed is from above

the rad and below the off side headlight

I'm surprised you notice the difference, it'll show up on a dyno but not by much, what

filter do you have fitted, is it old and in need of replacing.

I used to use the Apexi cone filter when not using the airbox and that was on a TT so creating even more

under bonnet heat than an NA

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)