The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back Again

jot_ie

Hi all

I'm back again after an almost 4 year absence.

Lots happened to keep me away but perhaps the biggest reason for my absence was the theft of my Supra.

February 3 years ago it was stolen from outside my house.

The f*ckers had stolen a skyline from somewhere else and were racing them through city streets without numberplates.

Ass*ole that was driving mine lost the back end on a corner and destroyed the rear passenger side wheel, suspension etc.

They also ripped out all the electronics, radio, evc, rltc and destroyed the dash panels.

Being forever optimistic, I kept the car with the intention of restoring it.

That time has now come and I hope to have it back on the road hopefully sometime early in the new year.

It needs:-

New Wheels and tyres

All suspension components for the rear passenger side, I'm going to change the right hand side as well so they match. (ordered from toyota last friday)

evc boost controler

dash panels

seats reupholstered

head unit amp and speakers

lots of other bits and pieces.

So, I'll be on here from time to time to annoy you lot, and pick your combined brains, as I need a bit of a refresher course in supra mechanicals and electrics :-)

John

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mellonman. Yeah I kept it :-). Was tempted to sell what was left for parts, but I remember the effort I put in to saving for it, the search for the right one at the time, and how much I enjoyed driving it. Couldn't let it go :-). When its time for its maiden voyage it will have the best car security system I can find :-), as well as a 9" nail in a block of wood strategically placed under the drivers seat :-), :-).

Heartbreaker! :( Could've been worse I suppose, 9 times out of 10 when a car's stolen in Belfast it's a burnt out shell that you're left with, and you get the pleasure of watching the car being destroyed on the streets of West Belfast via YouTube a week later. It looks far too nice a car to give up on :) good luck with the work

Jim, bad enough having it stolen and vandalised but having to watch it burn time after time on youtube.....absolute torture.

Fitz, the damage is indeed repairable and the insurance company did indeed write it off, Class C which is basically the cost of repair is more than the value, but could be repaired and made roadworthy again :-)

Supra.SZ-R, to be honest it just looks worse than it is :-), the mechanical side of things is really the rear passenger suspension components...pricy but not the end of the world. Going to replace the right hand side with new components as well just to keep everything in balance.

j_jza80, I read that somewhere over the last few days that those steering wheels have become valuable. It is in fairly good condition, the lacquer has a few chips in it, a previous owner may have worn rings or something, but I presume it can be re-lacquered.

Hammer, As you say, not going to let the fu*kers get me down. It would be a crime to let a car like this go as parts and scrap, for the want of some TLC :-)

I ordered most of the suspension components from Toyota last Friday, should have them on Saturday.

Upper control arms and all 3 lower arms with new bolts, nuts adjusters etc for both sides

Springs...all four corners....prob not 100% necessary but won't do any harm

Drive shaft for LHS

Knuckle and hub for LHS

All bearings and seals for both sides

Handbrake cables, both sides

Handbrake shoes, both sides

Abs sensor

Full lock set, ignition, doors, boot and glovebox.

Total €3.5K inc vat....... Ouch

And that's only for starters :-)

Still need to get new wheels and tyres. Then that should be most of the mechanical stuff sorted.

Thanks for the encouragement guys :-)

- - - Updated - - -

• 3 months later...

Apologies guys, completely missed out these last few posts.

Many thanks for the encouragement Supra.SZ-R :-), but it really looks worse than it actually is. Some TLC is al thats required + a few quid :-)

All parts are new OEM from Toyota hamzahkhan, my local main dealer is giving me a 20% discount on everything :-).

Have received all the mechanical parts and some dash parts now, just need to get the hubs pulled apart so I can rescue the dust deflectors and brakeshoe carriers.

Going to get these and a few other bits cleaned up and painted, then they can go on the new hubs.

Struggling with removing the damaged half shaft......subject of a separate post

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?317311-How-do-I-remove-a-broken-half-shaft-from-the-diff

Slow progress but really only taking the first few steps after slowly accumulating the parts.....should move along a bit quicker soon enough....hopefully :-)

Forgot to add.

After four years of laying idle I figured I should try starting it. Not much point going too far if the engine was knackered.

So over the Christmas holidays I decided to try it. Battery was completely dead, as expected, so I hooked it up to the jeep with heavy duty jump leads.

First turn of the key without hesitation :-) and sat there for an hour burbling away :-), like I had only switched it off an hour previous. :-).

The thing wants to live :-)