The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need some new grippy tyres

Matsi

Hi everyone, I need to get some new tyres, I have falken 452's on at the moment but they are not made anyone and I don't personally think they grip very well, what do people recommend? Would like a good balance between grip and price and I don't have the money at the moment to spend loads I tyres. Thanks in advance

I found Conti Sport contact 5p were awesome on my Last Supra.

UPDATE : Well done for getting some descent rubber, seems to be rare these days :D

I have never understood why people will spend as little as possible on tyres and then spend £1000's on making their cars faster only to hit "diesel" and crash.

If you have a performance car... use performance tyres... its the only thing that keeps you on the road... why Skimp?? there are reasons why the likes of BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, Toyota do not use brands like Falkan, Nankang etc as their standard tyres... its because they are... well... rubbish.

I used to use Falken 452's on my first Supra and thought they were good vs the Khumo's that were on there when I bought it. I then a year or so later down the line and after a few sets of 452's, I decided on the off chance and bought some Conti Sport contact 5p instead and was simply blown away by their performance vs the "budget range" I was using,.

I never looked back..

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

UPDATE : Well done for getting some descent rubber, seems to be rare these days :D

I have never understood why people will spend as little as possible on tyres and then spend £1000's on making their cars faster only to hit "diesel" and crash.

If you have a performance car... use performance tyres... its the only thing that keeps you on the road... why Skimp?? there are reasons why the likes of BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, Toyota do not use brands like Falkan, Nankang etc as their standard tyres... its because they are... well... rubbish.

I used to use Falken 452's on my first Supra and thought they were good vs the Khumo's that were on there when I bought it. I then a year or so later down the line and after a few sets of 452's, I decided on the off chance and bought some Conti Sport contact 5p instead and was simply blown away by their performance vs the "budget range" I was using,.

I never looked back..

I get the new tyres fitted Wednesday so let's see what they are like, hope I have made the right choice

If you have rear end traction or cornering issues also reflect on whether the suspension is 100%. I see so many cars with far too stiff aftermarket springs and suspect dampers where the best tyres in the world would struggle to achieve safe levels of grip on normal roads. Going mega stiff is *NOT* the right way to "improve" things in 90% of cases. What suspension is on it, and has it had a full geometry check and, if necessary, reset?

It's got hsd coilovers on, I have had the car about 6months and have not had it checked yet but it is going to get wheel alignment and camber check on Thursday so I will mention it, TDR put the coilovers on and he used the car for drag racing so I would have thought it would have been set up ok

I never looked back..

Doubt it would make much difference what tyres you have if you hit a diesel spill

If you have rear end traction or cornering issues also reflect on whether the suspension is 100%. I see so many cars with far too stiff aftermarket springs and suspect dampers where the best tyres in the world would struggle to achieve safe levels of grip on normal roads. Going mega stiff is *NOT* the right way to "improve" things in 90% of cases. What suspension is on it, and has it had a full geometry check and, if necessary, reset?

Wise words as always :thumbs:

Ps cornering is fine I just lose traction on the rear end anytime I go near the loud pedal

With your power levels, no offence, but you shouldn't be getting that. You're either going to soon on the pedal (and too hard), or you've got setup problems, as Chris mentioned.

Get the tyres on, and have a FULL 3-D Alignment check. There's places up your way, speak with someone like Hodge about where to go.

Well I'm getting new tyres because they are shot and tracking done because of excessive wear on the insides of the tyres, this could sort out the problem but we will see and if not I will be seeing hodge on Saturday at a meet so will have a talk with him, thanks for the advice

I have conti sport contact2 on my current supra, bpu 6speed and also had them on my single setup, i really don't rate them at all.

The best tyres i've had on my supra were the toyo T1r but also had the Vredestein Sessanta on the single for a short while, they were very good too

I have to say, I've read loads of good stuff on the Kumho KU39. Going to give them a whirl I think! I do get the whole top name vs. budget thing, but I also believe that not all top names are great! Personally had bad experience with Dunlop and Pirelli. Not hugely impressed with Michelin either. Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 however...phenomenal!! Favourites were the ContiSport Contact 3, but the buggers have discontinued them! 😔

Mine is in the garage today having Vredestein Sessanta's fitted all round and camber adjusted, not used them before but heard good things on here, will let you know what its like when I get it back! I also have major wear on the inside of the tyres due to the current camber set up.

Edited by MATT RR (see edit history)