The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slight problem

hogmaw

I had a bit of business today in Zeebrugge, Belgium today so I came over on the ferry in the Supra, due to return tomorrow (Sat) afternoon. Quite a pleasant drive as it happens. Now just as I get near to the hotel the power steering fails. Fluid leaking all over the place from near to the passenger side front wheel, making the car barely drivable. . This happened last summer too and I had to get the car transported to get it fixed.

So the problem is that I am stuck in Belgium with a busted car, the ferry goes Sat pm at 3pm and fly to the US on Sunday, so somehow I MUST get home.

There is a local garage about 1km away, tomorrow morning I walk over there and see if they can fix it. If OK then sorted, job done.

But if not, I have a 'slight problem', to put it mildly.

Ferry is an hour away ie from Dover not Zeebrugge, which only goes to Hull. Also, car is damn near undriveable without power steering, and even if I do drive it, I'll just end up damaging it more.

Best case - they fix it tomorrow morning.

Worst case - I leave the car here, somehow get back to the UK (no idea how as yet) then somehow get back here with the part required (whatever it may be) and hang around until 'hopefully' fixed. Expensive and time consuming.

Have your tried examining where the leak is? Maybe it's a pipe popped off?

It sounds like what happened with my NA. Pipe was worn and developed a hole, on another occasion it popped off completely.

Should be an easy fix for a garage if that is the issue. Fill up with new fluid and bobs your cousins dad.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I called the garage up today and cynic that I am expected them to say 'Supra? What Supra?' but lucky for me they sounded OK and said 100euro for the tow + fix. Which is reasonable enough I suppose. The train + ferry will be another £200, so all in all the hose which has popped off, which I presume was the problem, has cost me a day worth of time and about £300. I just hope they haven't been hooning around Belgium this past week or so!

I managed to get the car back ok, journey went without a hitch. The garage in Belgium told me that they could see the problem had been repaired before, which is true, it was 'fixed' last summer. I'm surprised that the same thing could happen again just one year later.