The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying my first supra questions

Guest johnsamsung10

Guest johnsamsung10

Hi there been on here for ages following project threds but have never actually owned a supra, but I have finally saved up enough to buy and insure one. Question is do I buy one currently in the uk or import from japan? What are the advantages and disadvantages of importing apart from the cost if getting the car here? Ideally looking for a stock twint turbo manual but I know how hard these are to find. Thanks

Fresh imports won't have seen salt. Buying a stock one is a good idea, body kits often have self tappers nailing them on, that start rust. They often rub the bottoms of the doors, starting rust. They now look dated, even if they appealed in the first instance. They often get fitted after accident damage, as a kit is often a lot cheaper than genuine panels. Buy on body condition, particularly insist on very detailed, high resolution photos of the underside, when on a ramp, if you have to pay before you get hands on. Personally I would want to see the car in the flesh before paying money, but that can be hard. Damage to chassis box sections and sill returns is very hard to fix, and suggests the car has been fiddled with a lot by someone without a ramp, or someone who doesn't care how they use a 2 post ramp. I would buy a very clean early none VVTi any day over a less clean, later VVTi. Avoid cars that have been repainted, lacquer peel is a nightmare to rectify, and God knows what might lurk under a repainted cars gloss. Trust the mileage reading about as much as you'd trust a politician.

Be wary of the phrase 'fresh import'. Many use it, but it can be very misleading. I've seen recent imports that are a LONG way from what I'd call 'fresh'.

+1

Remember folks, some UK owners have garages, and don't drive their cars during the winter months.

I was looking for a RSP sup for ages (secretly), I looked into importing one, but then my current Sup popped up, the rest is history. I am more than confident showing the under side of my car, its nice and clean, and I have a fair whack of service history from here and in Japan :).

The key is viewing, researching, asking a lot of questions, and a little luck.