The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young, Free & Big Single **UPDATED**

np89

Ok, so a while ago, having had my White GZ Auto that I loved (and that was sadly written off, not by me!) and my Gunmetal Facelift NA-TT6 (which was ok, but just not quite right), I decided my Supra journey was far from done and purchased my current Black UK Spec from Matt K on the site.

The car had been single turbo from around 2006, believed to have been completed by a well-known Supra tuner in mainland UK and looked like this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

After a long lonely drive from Matt’s, I got the car back home to Belfast, where to be honest, it was less than pristine, so I began to clean and clean and clean at it, including some very intensive machine polishing and after a few days, had it looking like this:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

You may have also noticed that the wheels, like most TTE wheels were chuffed to say the least, so I set about “refurbing “ them by way of a full mirror polish and brake caliper refurb as well as they were less than acceptable:

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

At this point, the car looked reasonably acceptable, however, in my view the car is a UK spec and should look like one and as Toyota intended; call me a purest but I couldn’t have it any other way! So the search began for some very rare UK Spec parts such as headlight washers! I eventually got hold of the required items and “made” a UK Bonnet and bumper

10.jpg

, however, my painter was busy so I cruised about like this for a while:

11.jpg

The original spec was:

GT35r Turbo

Apexi AVCR

AEM AFR Gauge

Greddy FATT

Apexi N1 Exhaust

Greddy Emanage Blue

HKS SSQV

However, after a while it became apparent that this set-up was not doing the job it was supposed to be doing. It “ran” the car and that was about it. It stalled at traffic lights due to the AFM and VTA dump valve and the very limited capability of the emange to “alter” the signals going to the factory ECU. The car was very aggressive and not in a good way, the power band was so sharp and short with detonation top end and coming on boost and the autobox did not like it at all. I also later discovered that despite the Apexi AVCR being installed, all it was doing was reading boost, what was actually controlling the boost (at 1.6bar) was a bleed valve…….. I also discovered this little beauty of an oil return that had assumedly been installed by the well-known “Tuner”:

12.jpg

At this point enough was enough, the car was not right and it was time to consider options that were going to primarily manage the car properly and secondly be done right and done once with no messing about. The more research I did, I firstly decided that a piggyback was only masking the problem and could never fully compensate for the stock fuel and ignition map setup being manipulated for single turbo application; so that said, standalone was apparently the only way to go.

I firstly considered the standard option of Syvecs and with a lot of advice from Lee at SRD, I was nearly sold on it, however the more research I did into it including the considerations of the trip to mainland UK and associated supporting accessories and displays, a £3k idea was turning into like a £7k idea and for me that was too much to pour into the car for what it was. Being limited support wise in Northern Ireland, and having had some experience with various “tuning opportunities” offered, taken and regretted over the years left me with a hard choice. However, long story short, I got chatting to an up and coming young tuner in Northern Ireland

At this point after talking things through with this tuner, I decided to go with his speciality,Adaptronic and what’s better, it does everything Syvecs does, including live read-out to your Android or Apple Device/Tablet, with only a few additional sensors required, everything else it needs, the car has!

The ECU also allowed the removal of the factory AFM much to my relief as it was a complete melt!

The list of upgrades also included new sard 850cc injectors, fuel pulsation damper removal pipe, and a new fuel filter; As well as an AEM water/methanol injection kit.

Also fitted was an Innovate lc-1 wideband controller which allows the full Adaptive fuelling control in the Adaptronic ECU. This feature has the ability to self adjust the fuel table to keep everything running at its best even after the car has left the workshop.

Work Began on the install including the addition of GM water temp sensor and an Intake air temp sensor to compensate for the removal of the AFM which included the IAT sensor integrated into it.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

As with most projects we ran into issues, most were overcome without any great issue, however, one that gave a bit of hassle, was an exhaust blow which turned out to be a nightmare to locate, but in the end, it appeared to be coming from the manifold:

18.jpg

Edited by np89 (see edit history)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you can see the blow was quite bad and the gasket was quite clearly done! Initially we tried to replace the gasket with an aftermarket option that we had sitting, however, as with most aftermarket gaskets etc, close enough was not good enough and the blow remained. At this point I felt quite bad for the tuner having to re-remove the manifold and replace with Genuine Toyota gaskets as he had spent a lot of time previously removing all the studs, cleaning the head and manifold faces to ensure a good seal.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

A final issue we had, was fault codes from the factory ECU which included a code 89 for the autobox as it was not getting the correct signal feedback, however, this was rectified swiftly through the use of a specific circuit board and feedback loops for the factory ECU to see all the signals it needed to whilst allowing the Adaptronic to carry on doing its thing.

- - - Updated - - -

So, issues sorted and all back together, mapping began:

attachment2.jpg

23.jpg

attachment.jpg

Final Figures were 442BHP and 471LB/FT AT THE WHEELS, given the usual 20% or so losses due to the autobox, that brings it to 553BHP and 589LB/FT at the engine, but we all know that figures are one thing but the way it drives on the road is another. I can say that the car drives a million times better than it ever did before, so much smoother and progressive (not that it can’t be suitably aggressive when required ;) ), the autobox handles the changes beautifully thanks to the tuner's persistant and hard work in making sure that despite the Adaptronic being in control that the Auto ECU still received all the signals it needed to, to do its job correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

And now please enjoy the final spec list and photos of the car!

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Body

Stock UK Body, including front bumper with working headlight washers

Plastic OEM Side skirts

OEM Style GRP Spats

Lexus TTE Split width Rims with centre caps, fully polished (x6)

4500k Xenon Headlight Bulbs

UK Glass Headlights

Facelift front indicators

Rear tinted glass

Chassis

UK Auto gearbox & large cooled UK differential

Eibach Springs on stock UK Dampers

Twin External SRD Auto box oil Coolers

UK Spec Brakes

EBC Yellowstuff pads

Engine & Supporting Mods

Standard internal UK Spec 2JZ-GTE

Momentum Carbon fibre spark Plug Cover

AC Removed

New Coil packs & Connectors

Cruise Control

SARD 850cc Injectors

Whifbitz Fuel Pulsation Braided Damper removal pipe

Braided Oil Lines

Garrett GT35R BB Turbo (.70 AR)

HKS Manifold & External Wastegate (Fully Heatwrapped in Black)

Custom Downpipe and Decats (Fully Heatwrapped in Black)

Screamer Pipe

Apexi N1 Catback Exhaust

Bosch 044 Fuel Pump

Bosch Twin Ignitors, running wasted Spark

AFM Removed

K&N 4.5” Filter & Turbo Inlet

Polished Oil Catch Can

Whifbitz Aluminium Radiator

Whifbitz 4 Row FMIC & Pipework

AEM Aquamist Water/Methanol Injection

Custom Intake air temp sensors

MAC 3 port Boost Solenoid

Electronics & Management

Adaptronic 440d full standalone ECU (compatible with Android Tablets for live readout)

Standard UK Autobox ECU

UK Spec Traction control

Alpine 10” Subwoofer & Amp

Greddy FATT

Interior

UK Cream Leather interior & Carpet

UK 3 Bar Steering Wheel

Optional Black fabric headlining

Alpine Headunit with full Ipod connection

Heated Seats

Control Unit for Aquamist mounted in Armrest

Am I right in thinking that this is the CAT-D car that has been for sale a few times over the last few years?

I was certain that car would have been broken for bits, but I'm really glad to see you've brought it back from the brink. :) It looks fantastic, and I bet it drives well :cool:

Am I right in thinking that this is the CAT-D car that has been for sale a few times over the last few years?

I was certain that car would have been broken for bits, but I'm really glad to see you've brought it back from the brink. :) It looks fantastic, and I bet it drives well :cool:

Correct, however, having been round this car many times, there really is no evidence at all of any remaining damage, only tell tale signs may have been that it was a UK car with a Jap bonnet and aftermarket front bumper :s

Quality spec and a lovely looking car :thumbs:

What boost pressure was that dyno run at? Looks like it'd benefit from a set of 264 cams to help it keep pulling to the redline.

Boost is at 1.5bar just, so actually less than it was doing before :).

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!

Great stuff! Would be quite interested to know who this "Well known Supra tuner" is.

I don't think its conducive to turn this into a name and shame thread. Really pleased its going down so well! Perhaps a mod could move it to project cars? I think I've embedded the images correctly?

I don't think its conducive to turn this into a name and shame thread. Really pleased its going down so well! Perhaps a mod could move it to project cars? I think I've embedded the images correctly?

Completely understand, hopefully they aren't trading on here :)

Biting my lip at the minute, Gavin is a good man and a good friend and his work is 100% (glad you are happy) but I'm not liking this "so called tuner" attitude, you seem to forget we are all friends here in this small part of the island

Im pretty sure he is referring to someone in the UK

Good work mate, I was eyeing up this car at some point think it was local for me.

• 3 months later...

Well guys, just a little update. Following on from some of the comments I was getting before and looking at long term goals; I amended my spec list to include:

BoostLab BW S366HF

BC 264 Cams Int & Ext

SATS Motorsport Vernier Cam Gears

And of course the obligatory remap & Setting Up for such mods. Whilst doing this, we found that the front oil seal needed replacing as it had more than seen better days and the timing star also got welded up and it received a brand new Toyota water pump and timing belt kit just to be sure. Im sure some of you read about the temperature issues I was having due to going non water cooled and the effect on waterflow in the engine. Thus, the car also received a TRD 72 degree thermostat to remedy this issue and restore waterflow as the Toyota 82degree stat wasnt opening.

So without further Adue, the results, and a Video :D

The car made 556.6BHP/461.67Lbs/Ft at the wheels. The dyno being used doesn't calculate engine figures for autos as the run down can be unreliable so we turned that bit off but going on the SRR rough guestimate losses of 20-23% for autos, that equates to what, about, 708BHP/588.86Lbs/Ft at the Fly, of course this is pure speculation of sum, but even still, I'm pretty darn pleased with the ATW figures :)

attachment3.jpg