The mkiv Supra Owners Club

police keep harrasing me about my 'after market' exhaust.

calsupra

For the past 2 months a pair of police officers in my town have been hassling me about my exhaust. When they see me they flash me to pull over and write out a ticket for a fine. Every time they say the same thing, "is this a standard exhaust?" I reply with no, but it was there when i bought the car and then they tell me to go and buy a "standard exhaust."

There must be a way around this, i am tired of paying these fines. I dont even rev above 2000 when im driving through town yet they still pull me over and fine me.

someone please help.

The exhaust must record a decibel level not exceeding 101 db(A).

This level will be recorded at the height of the exhaust or 200mm from ground level which ever is greater, placed 500mm away from the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle to said outlet.

The engine will be run at a speed between two thirds and three quarters of it’s maximum to achieve the recording.

Get them to do this if not... Then tell them if they haven't the equipment to prove there assumptions there is no fine..

The exhaust must record a decibel level not exceeding 101 db(A).

This level will be recorded at the height of the exhaust or 200mm from ground level which ever is greater, placed 500mm away from the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle to said outlet.

The engine will be run at a speed between two thirds and three quarters of it’s maximum to achieve the recording.

Get them to do this if not... Then tell them if they haven't the equipment to prove there assumptions there is no fine..

Thank you, I will use this information against them as they never did this test.

Someone on here recently went through all this and had there car checked

properly and it was legal, do a search for the thread.

There's no way i'd be paying fines unless it was proven my car was too loud, not just

what the officer thinks

Seems a bit unfair doesn't it but this is from Norfolk Police website:

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvice/roadsafety/advicetoroadusers/howlegalisyourvehicle.aspx

"There is no requirement for police to measure the sound level from the exhaust system, it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification."

You can't use that thread for reference, So much bull$#@!, he probably has no supra, no golf and is a Corsa boy with the loud big bore as he admitted.

Perhaps but its a starting point and if there is a test that can stand up in a court then i'd be having it

done, unless of course the OP's car is stupidly loud then unlucky fix it but without a test how do you know

You can't use that thread for reference, So much bull$#@!, he probably has no supra, no golf and is a Corsa boy with the loud big bore as he admitted.

Ric is right.

The corsa tested in at 43db when idling and 68db

Idle

42 dB - Audi A8L 05

42 dB - Jaguar XJ8 L

43 dB - BMW 745IL 05

44 dB - Mercedes-Benz S500 05

45 dB - Volkswagen Phaeton V8

Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Cabriolet

Idle: 51dB

Max: 78 dB

I smell the rat and dont see Jazz.

EDIT LOL THERE HE IS!

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Why is the phrase after market in apostrophes in the title? It IS after market, its an HKS exhaust with a 5" tail pipe. And you don't go about 2k in town? These stories have to be taken with a pinch of salt. How many times of we hear a tale played down, only to find when the full details emerged the OP was, in fact, doing something wrong?

What I reckon was, you were giving it beans round town one night in a car with a very loud exhaust, the cops pulled you, you maybe gave a bit of attitude, your car now has a police marker. Close to the mark?