The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car wrap

walkerstrider

Depends who does it, some places have a tendency to cut through the wrap into your paintwork

which could be a very expensive problem.

I had the front of my car done with a clear wrap to save stone chips and wished i'd never

bothered, i had to re paint the bumper in the end

Depends who does it, some places have a tendency to cut through the wrap into your paintwork

which could be a very expensive problem.

I had the front of my car done with a clear wrap to save stone chips and wished i'd never

bothered, i had to re paint the bumper in the end

Paint works past it anyway mate so not too bothered about that. Thought it might be alot cheaper than a respray. Cars desperate for one but can't afford the £3000 price tag!

i have had 2 done, blue and red, make sure they go round the edges, use good vinyl, temp controlled room, i paid 1500 cash for my wide body took 2-3 dayhttp://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190930&stc=1&d=1409927400s..

They look good think I'm convinced to go this direction. Was thinking Matt black?

Wrapping isn't that hard to be honest. Done a couple now, in fact we wrapped my Carmel's supra bonnet last night after JAE with some carbon fibre stuff she bought. But Supras are harder than some because you need to put a join either in the roof posts or along the roof itself due to the wrap coming in 1.5m widths. You can get a perfect finish on the doors, wings bonnet just by taking your time. Choose a very still, warm day if you have to do it outside though. Temperature stability is important and I would also make sure the wrap you buy has the veins on the back to allow the air to escape, the other stuff is much harder to do.

Plastidip looks easier granted but not seen many with a nice finish, saw some awful examples of plastidip sprays yesterday at jae and only one that looked really good.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=190965&stc=1&d=1409997273

Ive had mine done, i like how quick it was done over getting paint done, 3days and I had my car back,

I'm in love! This would be my choice of colour matt grey :drool: What about scratches and dents, would the body need to be flawless? Obviously dents would be a problem but would scratches show up?

I get the point of wrapping I do, and two of the examples that I have seen on a supra have been posted in this thread. The yellow one and Pauls wide body. They look great they really do, both cars look stunning.

But im on the otherside of the fence personally I say paint over wrap, a good wrap will cost alot of money and for another 1k I think a paint job is much better. I could bare seeing all the cut marks in the wrap as the supra is so curved, plus you never get the same depth of colour in the flesh as you would on a good paint job.

Plasti dip is another option but I have heard a few horror stories creeping up about this too recently. This is a new method and fairly under researched in comparison to paint jobs. Iv heard stories of it pulling paint off a brand new car.

I seen a bright green GTR in at JM the other month, figured it was a spray job, when I went over to it it was a horrendous wrap! Edges were creeping, stone chips meant you could see little pin holes all over the front. Enough money to buy the car, then ruined it with rubbish.

I'm in love! This would be my choice of colour matt grey :drool: What about scratches and dents, would the body need to be flawless? Obviously dents would be a problem but would scratches show up?

Cheers dude, its not grey though its anthracite moon quartz, it has a metalic quality to it in person aswell :)

Tbh the matte hides most evils, but obvious dents and rough bodywork shows through, my rear quarters are abit iffy at the bottom where it had spats fitted, and one dent on the front wing which was done the day before dropping it at the wrappers shows up but it made the car look a million times better in person

If it would have only cost 1k more to get mine painted i would have but my quotes for a repaint in the same colour (1A1) was 2/3rds more expensive :shock: