The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dodgy turbos again...

Tsia

Hi all,

I had my turbos rebuilt by Turboforce in Yorkshire around March time. I've driven the car perhaps 2000 miles since.

Today I noticed a lack of low end grunt. With my windows down, I can hear a light spluttering as I put my foot down and my boost gauge goes to exactly 0 and sits there... until 4000 RPM, where it comes to life like normal. I looked in the engine bay and my BOV is a bit 'well oiled' as well as the pipes surrounding it. Does it sound like my first turbo is knackered, or is it possible it's just a pipe coming off somewhere?

Cheers

fmic piping oily, check oil level before/after a good drive and and any smoke out of back .. does sound turbo seals..

I didn't see any smoke out the back and I'm a bit afraid of giving it a 'good drive' with a potentially knackered turbo. I'm getting nothing at all from the first, as if it's either caught or something is jammed in it. It has a warranty for the rebuild, but I can't say I'm confident it'll get warrantied (I very rarely have good experiences with garages).

Most stock BOV are oily mine was until I took it all apart. You know the drill check all your vac lines...

It's an SSQV, the intercooler pipes are bone dry. I'm going to make some plugs to plug off the BOV so I can at least drive it tomorrow (Got to get to an interview!). As long as the turbo isn't shot, that should solve it until I can get hold of a new BOV. :)

Yeah they're running in sequential. I'll be heading down to attack the engine bay in a bit, but I've only recently replaced most the vac hoses. The BOV was giving me some troubles before, I had to strip it apart and rebuild it and regrease it etc. to stop it from leaking. I'm also getting a light fluttering sound while the car SHOULD be building boost, so it leads me to believe it's not the turbo (as I'd imagine a knackered wheel would be making a far louder, metal on metal noise). First point of call is to use the wonders of a 3d printer to print some bungs for the BOV hose etc, then get those in.

Yeah they're running in sequential. I'll be heading down to attack the engine bay in a bit, but I've only recently replaced most the vac hoses. The BOV was giving me some troubles before, I had to strip it apart and rebuild it and regrease it etc. to stop it from leaking. I'm also getting a light fluttering sound while the car SHOULD be building boost, so it leads me to believe it's not the turbo (as I'd imagine a knackered wheel would be making a far louder, metal on metal noise). First point of call is to use the wonders of a 3d printer to print some bungs for the BOV hose etc, then get those in.

I would love a 3D printer :(

Removed the BOV, still getting the very quiet fluttering sound. You guys are probably right that it's just a pipe somewhere, but nothing stands out that could leak that much boost. Definitely not one of the 3mms!

Although on second thoughts, if the wheel had become lodged in the housing, would it not be possible that the fluttering/air noises are just the air escaping past it?

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

Checked all the IC pipework today, although I wasn't able to check the joins to the IC itself due to a lack of tools (this may spell out a trip to halfords)

Nothing seems to be amiss there. A few days ago I did take off the BOV and plugged it with an insert, which proceeded to blow out as my 2nd turbo came online. For a brief period when I drove it today (for the first time after the plug blew out) there was a fair bit of white/grey smoke (had to travel 1 mile to a place where I could get underneath the car) which seems to have stopped since I re-fitted the BOV etc and plugged up the remaining hose leaks.

I've still got no boost until 4-5k RPM though, all I can hear is what sounds almost like a plastic bag being toyed with as the first turbo should be spooling. I'm not sure if that's the turbo itself making noise as it bounces off the housing or if it's the sound of a hose somewhere leaking my potential boost out (although this does happen at -2 or so on the boost gauge)

Any ideas?

Found the culprit and I'm surprised that my engine is still alive. Looks like I'll need to completely flush my oil a few times after it's been towed up to the garage that did the turbo rebuild, have a look at this!

I've got a video of it too (Ignore the dripping coolant :))

That's eaten something via the filter, or the eaten some actual filter material. What air filter is on it?

Stock airbox!

I haven't had it apart at all since I've had it back from the garage (they took off the turbos, sent them for rebuild and refitted them 6 months ago) - so I'd like to think this is covered by their warranty, although I know they'll get out of it by saying "Well, not our problem!" (Which to be fair it's in a grey area :( )

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

Wow, thats broken.

I dont think it would have put anything in the oil though? it would have gone into the intercooler trackt or something as its not the exhaust side.

As mentioned before, I'm pretty happy that my engine hasn't given way from this. Fingers crossed for tomorrow though, that the garage that did the work will be happy to warranty it. I'd like to think so, as it's done very few miles since the rebuild 6 months ago and has never been apart since.

Holy S###... Supras really have it in for you you need to go back to a Mr-2 ;)

Tempted mate. I could sell the Supra and get such a nice MR2, too! :(

The trouble is, this one is just so nice to drive and so much fun that I really don't want to get rid of it. Likely that I'll just sort it out and carry on enjoying it :)