The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is It Illegal to drive with 1 headlight? Edited.. Meet Captain Supra of the 7 seas...

a98pmalcolm

As per title really. I'm going to send off one of my headlights for resealing but I use my car as a daily runner in the day (to drive 5 miles away from my house to a roadside space in a housing estate)

IS there any law to drive a car in the day with a missing headlight? The the advantage with the supra is the indicator is not in the headlight.

Thanks

Paul

Edit ok... Kinda looks like the supes got an Eye patch, but I think I did an alright job..

Tools required:

10mm socket

Bubble wrap

1 domestic black bin liner

Black insulin tape.

Step 1:

Remove headlight and fill with required bubble wrap..

Add some more if required..

With the Insulin tape - duct tape and domestic black bin liner apply over bubble wrap and tape around all edged to ensure water tight seal..

Careful we don't want water on that air filter..

After water seal is made then using insulin tape to mould the bin bag and bubble wrap to meet acquired shape of the MKIV Toyota Supra.

Make sure that the bubble wrap is against the domestic liner to ensure that the new headlight fill does not miss shape.

ARRG!!

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have thought so, they will question what you would do if things went dark.

Not drive it.

You'll be fine in the daytime, in fact, I'm pretty sure that by law, you don't even need to have headlights on in a lit residential area at night.

Headlights can be removed and it will pass an MOT believe it or not. Can't see it, can't fail it.

Don't think so. From the MOT Testers Guide.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]190729[/ATTACH]

Preaching to the choir... Not that I do this EVERY day, being a representative of DVSA or anything...

Got to love the net and the 'expert' opinions :D

Indeed...

you cant drive it with the headlight out no is the simple answer....

See above...

It also says in the above mot testers guide "headlights are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only in the hours of daylight"

Correct

In which case you get an MOT for said vehicle for Daylight use IE: certain kit cars bikes etc which is still an MOT but will show up as only for use during daylight hours.

HOWEVER....

In this case the OP is asking if he may drive his vehicle which holds a full MOT whereby the Headlights were fitted thus he may not remove them without getting a separate Day time only MOT at which time his current MOT expires and he would still have to have the headlight housing in the vehicle in question if its the Supra as removing the housing presents a danger to pedestrians bla bla bla see relevant section...

Explain to me how you register a vehicle for a "daytime only" test, and how you issue a "daytime only" certificate then...

Nope I gain nothing from this other than being dragged into an argument where I simply stated dont drive it is the simplest solution.

Couldn't find nothing on Google then? :D

A VT32 is issued upon completion of the test indicating that the vehicle is used only in daylight hours. As long as the vehicle is presented for test on a clear, dry day, no lights are required. If the presenter says it is only used in daylight, and not in darkness or weather that causes reduced visibility, you give them the benefit of the doubt, and pass and advise.

So, what would happen if you left your vehicle parked somewhere, and came back to find the headlight smashed, or spoiler ripped off, or anything else for that matter.

Would you say your insurance company 'could' void your insurance if you chose to drive home to sort the issue?

Or would you leave it where it is, until you'd managed to fix it?