The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Click on startup - half crank

SupraP-Z

Ok so this problem started last week, bit of an odd one. Cold start, sometimes the car just doesn't fire, turn the key and click click...like the battery is dead (it isn't, ive been driving it everyday) then I leave it for a few seconds, turn the key - it starts to crank and then dies again. Then lock and unlock the car and sometimes it fires into life. At times its immediate, and others it takes quite a few goes.

Takes a little while...bit frustrating and worrying especially when im late for work!

Im thinking a bad ground connection somewhere on my alarm system, maybe cleanup the battery terminals with some emery paper and then re-tighten. Or maybe starter motor? Could the starter motor cause these symptoms?

Any help is appreciated as always :)

Def not battery dude, as when it does crank properly, it sounds completely healthy and fires up with no problem.

Its a weird one, I had a similar problem when I forgot to tighten the negative terminal on the battery. First point I will check will be that, but im sure the battery is fine otherwise it wouldn't crank at all

My guess is starter motor contacts need replacing. I had starting problems once, where leaving it for a few seconds would mean it would fire up strongly. See here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?70712-Car-reluctant-to-start

My guess would be this too though I'd double check the battery connections are all good and well.

Did you say you have an engine immobiliser fitted too?

Mine did this.

I undone the main feed into the Starter and redone it up no problems since

No idea what made it do it or how i fixed it

I may try this to temporarily solve this issue, maybe clean up the contacts and see how it goes

My guess is starter motor contacts need replacing. I had starting problems once, where leaving it for a few seconds would mean it would fire up strongly. See here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?70712-Car-reluctant-to-start

These are the exact same symptoms that im having, a single click and everything dead, then at random times it decides to fire. I also thought it may be my immobiliser as i armed/dearmed it thinking it locked itself. After reading your thread, im pretty confident its got to be the starter motor, thanks for the link dude :)

My guess would be this too though I'd double check the battery connections are all good and well.

Did you say you have an engine immobiliser fitted too?

Yeah dude, bloody toad alarm lol. My symptoms are exactly the same as stevie b's, so im quite sure its what it is.

Could be the solenoid contacts burnt away, or brushes / commutator worn. I have a starter here with new contacts and a full check over that I would sell on an exchange basis.

Spot on as usual Mr Wilson ;) I would definately be interested in this, im afraid that one day the car just wont start. I remember there being a thread on here about refurbing them? Rather have a nice new one, or mine refurbed atleast. How much would i be looking for, for the exchange?

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)