The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing J-Spec headlights

j_jza80

A friend of mine has just bought a facelift fresh import, and the headlights are slightly yellowed. I've seen some amazing results with polishing them on this forum, and was just wondering what people had used, and how they had done it?

Presumably just a delicate hand with a machine polisher, and some sort of cutting compound? Or does it involve some light sanding too?

Thanks. :)

It depends on how far gone they are and how far you want to go. You really need to do the inside and outside for good results. A good cutting compound (G3) to get the yellow off then a finishing polish to remove the light stuff and make them shine a little. Just don't go too heavy handed with the polisher as you will get micro cracking if you heat them up too much.

For the really persistent stuff use 2000 grit and wet sand, followed by 3000 grit wet sanding, then follow the above to get them perfect again.

It's a LOT of time, patience is required when wet sanding.

It depends on how far gone they are and how far you want to go. You really need to do the inside and outside for good results. A good cutting compound (G3) to get the yellow off then a finishing polish to remove the light stuff and make them shine a little. Just don't go too heavy handed with the polisher as you will get micro cracking if you heat them up too much.

For the really persistent stuff use 2000 grit and wet sand, followed by 3000 grit wet sanding, then follow the above to get them perfect again.

It's a LOT of time, patience is required when wet sanding.

Do you offer that service as part of your Hobbyist status? If so, roughly how much? :)

Do you offer that service as part of your Hobbyist status? If so, roughly how much? :)

Indeed. Approx £60 + P&P. For jspec lights it's around £70-£75 inc insured return postage. That's for a strip down, polish & clean inside and out.

Can make a big difference to the overall appearance, especially with facelifts or facelifted lights :)

I used the Quixx kit. I've since had to buy more wet and dry sandpaper (bought at a shop in Hessle as it's a pain to find in the grades I wanted), but the products in the kit are still going strong. I tape off the lights on the car and sand them back up to a polish by hand. No machines. Fairly quick job too.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?269491-Interim-headlight-refurb&highlight=Quixx

Indeed. Approx £60 + P&P. For jspec lights it's around £70-£75 inc insured return postage. That's for a strip down, polish & clean inside and out.

Can make a big difference to the overall appearance, especially with facelifts or facelifted lights :)

I'll point him in your direction. :)