The mkiv Supra Owners Club

getrag 6speed or auto paddle shifted and possibly built? what to you prefer?

mpobor

hi every body!

looking for used supras i noticed that the autos are a little bit cheaper than the manual... i think i know the reason but considering that some company as titan motorsport and other make built autobox with very good performance and i also saw today on whifbitz a paddle shift kit..

at the end a paddle shifted built supra will cost as much as a 6gear getrag... so..

with the same mods (let's say stage 4 plus single conversion for about 600\650hp... the auto will be a nice choice or the manual is always the best?

someone knows if you can downshift and keep the engine high on the rpms so you have engine brake for better cornering? hope you know what i mean.. i live in a very twisty road place and i will enjoy shifting down and have the braking engine feeling...

thank yoiu everybody

Auto will be faster than a manual on any given road, simple because you don't have to press a clutch, engage a gear, and engage a clutch.

In my experience, yes you can downshift and keep the RPMs up, not with the Whifbitz kit but a similar set up, but bear in mind you only have 3 gears plus overdrive, so you might not have the correct revs for the corner.

You live in a very twisty road place, Stelvio? ;)

Auto will be faster than a manual on any given road, simple because you don't have to press a clutch, engage a gear, and engage a clutch.

In my experience, yes you can downshift and keep the RPMs up, not with the Whifbitz kit but a similar set up, but bear in mind you only have 3 gears plus overdrive, so you might not have the correct revs for the corner.

You live in a very twisty road place, Stelvio? ;)

stelvio.... :( not so lucky!!! definetly a road to take coming back from the UK with the supra :):)

i'm quite lucky for nice roads closeby.. very twisty road uphill with zero traffic plus a very wide highway with no radar... basically a circuit... i'm not lucky just for the car i have :):):) (pandas.... lots and lots of pandas...)

For a twisty road you need a manual car with a nice power band. You'll find a turbo on full boost by 4,000rpm will be enough, and if you're looking for driving enjoyment then drive it properly and it'll put an automatic to shame every single time.

very very tough to find 6speed twin turbo supra.... hope to find one not spending milion... but soon as i can i want to properly upgrade it and i'm very interested to a stu upgrade rather than a sinlge...mostly for the power band... 2000 to 7500 must be so fun. but also because police will bust my ass if i pop the bonnet with single :)

I had a 6Sp Manual for 9 years, in the end I couldn't stand the clutch while driving in the City of London, however that would transform to delight as soon as there was some open road.

it boils down to Personal preference.

my god.... London traffic with a supra... i hope at least with oem clutch... i have lived there for years and i remember the meaning of driving there... never saw so many traffic in my life...

i'm actually very interested about supra not only for looks and power but also about all i read about its realiability.. is fascinating to own a car that has hypercar performance but (as far as i read on forums) a remarkable reliability. which the getrag but also a built auto seems to have.