The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to prolong the life of a Supra?

JackyBoi

Okay guys so I've had a good look through the forum and can't find #&%$ all about this topic so I'm gonna go ahead and ask you lot... After buying a Supra what are the things that you should immediately look to replace with OEM or aftermarket parts? So say you've just bought a J-Spec Supra fresh from Japan and you want to replace little bits and bobs (i.e bolts, studs, rods, bearings, seals etc) what would you replace first and why? Only reason for asking is I'm getting very close indeed to picking up my first Supra and already have a few small changes ready such as new alloys + tyres, brakes, exhaust, fuel injectors + pump etc, but I'm talking about those little things that most people would hardly take notice of but are very important to maintain the quality of the car and therefore it being less likely to #&%$ up on you.. I'm sure some of you can figure out what I'm trying to say :search:

But yeah I need some suggestions as I know these parts are always overlooked because you can't see them or whatever, but I want to replace as much as possible because I aim to keep this car for yeeeeeeeaaaars! :thumbs: thanks

As with any car, I'd just do normal servicing, and plus replace parts as/if they break.

If you are going to use the car all year round, maybe get it under sealed.

Have you got the car yet?

So no need to replace any parts unless there is noticeable wear on them?

Nope not yet - mid September, just after my birthday on the 1st :)

We can still understand you without the need for profanity ;)

As others have said, you just need to make sure you are servicing not just the engine but other components too. Being fresh from Japan, get it fully undersealed. Check all suspension components, you shouldn't have any knocks or even creaks. Check all engine bay piping is in good condition and order, ensure transmission and diff etc have oils changed, checked and not forgotten.

If you are going to use the car all year round, maybe get it under sealed.

This.

Plus, and possibly more importantly, get all the cavities waxed. The imports have a habit or rusting around the front and rear screens, under the boot seals, and near the boot hinges on the roof of the car.

I'd also find somewhere that does a proper under chassis clean / steam clean. Rust is the biggest potential killer of these cars, and prevention it is a lot cheaper and more straight foward than cure.

This.

Plus, and possibly more importantly, get all the cavities waxed. The imports have a habit or rusting around the front and rear screens, under the boot seals, and near the boot hinges on the roof of the car.

I'd also find somewhere that does a proper under chassis clean / steam clean. Rust is the biggest potential killer of these cars, and prevention it is a lot cheaper and more straight foward than cure.

How much are we talking for a full underseal and/or getting the cavities waxed? Obviously this sounds like a smart thing to do but if it's going to cost too much money then... Well it can't be done :p

Keep it in a climatised garage?

J specs aren't usually undersealed. You might consider drying it out properly in a paint booth and then properly protecting the underneath.

A decent paint cleanse and high quality wax as per any good valeting guide.

Regular oil changes.

If it's new to you without history consider g/box, diff, brake, coolant fluid changes.

Some things you 'could' change.

wheel studs

top and bottom coolant hoses

Cam cover seals

flexible brake pipes

crank pulley

Accordion type looking turbo link pipe - can collapse inside.

if you were considering keeping a already 17 year old Supra for 5-10 more years you may as we'll replace these now and at your leisure.

But there are few real necessities especially if you give the car a once over regularly and pick things up as and when.

How much are we talking for a full underseal and/or getting the cavities waxed? Obviously this sounds like a smart thing to do but if it's going to cost too much money then... Well it can't be done :p

There's a place in Doncaster called Jr Classics that does it for a few hundred quid. Not doing it is a false economy imo.

A bpu TT is in a similar league to a DB9, SL55, Xkr etc. They are pretty decent even by modern standards, especially considering a bpu TT auto can be had from £5k.

I agree. Bang for your buck, there is nothing better.

Although I have had this privilege, I still fancy trying some other cars.

This^

I find myself feeling more and more unimpressed with BPU TT its just not that quick by modern standards anymore and its a pain in the arse to work on...

That's because you aren't driving it fast enough... you said in another thread you rarely get beyond 70mph... that is your problem :D

A bpu TT is in a similar league to a DB9, SL55, Xkr etc. They are pretty decent even by modern standards, especially considering a bpu TT auto can be had from £5k.

Indeed, I had a play with an Aston Martin Vantage in my old auto TT and I was surprised how much quicker the Supra was, especially top end.