The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Member & Supra in London

hamzahkhan

Brethren!

Though I joined the club a few days ago, I have been actively reading many of the posts for a while now and was thoroughly impressed by the sense of community and camaraderie on this forum. I purchased my original, unmolested, 95 TT6 and brought her to London today. The car is immense and has no obvious faults but requires some work done (almost all superficial). Its like being in a time warp, it even has a 90s stereo.

This brings me onto my first question, can someone recommend a workshop where I can get the car the TLC it deserves? From one 70 mile drive I can tell it requires -

- A new paint job (Car is in excellent condition otherwise with no rust anywhere but just a lot of faded paint)

- Full service (inside/outside)

- Tuning

- Air filter change

- Breaks feel a bit weak and will hence need to be addressed

- Alignment (off by 5 degrees which is not good for my OCD)

- For lack of a better phrase, an experts once over who can recommend what else needs immediate attention

Looking forward to hearing from you all and wishing everyone a great weekend in advance!

Photos to come very shortly

Thank you for the warm welcome gentlemen! Feel privileged to have had a response from some of the forums most respected members. Here is the first picture of the car I took last night..

I'll contact both the referred establishments in the very near future and keep the community posted with progress. One more item to add to the list I have posted above is a new timing belt and of course HKS SSQV4.

IMG_20140829_202337.jpg

I viewed this car some time ago.....it knocks from diff on hard acceleration, urgently flush coolant as there was rust in the rad, oil urgently, PAS very noisy, although as you mentioned no rust just faded paint. How much did you paid in the end....?

Maybe old owner resolved some of the issues, which I did address to him since my viewing about 4 weeks ago...

At least it will get a good owner now....look after her.

Hi Novak - I agree with you on the power steering, on right full lock in the last few degrees she makes A LOT of noise. That needs to be looked at immediately. Another item is if you push the clutch in very quickly I can hear a knock of some sort doesn't happen when you press the clutch slowly. The right hand side door lock is very stiff and needs to be addressed as well. Apart from that (and points mentioned above) car drives well, pulls nicely no rattles or noises.

I don't plan to drive her much the next three months .... embarrassing to admit this but I need to get my license sorted first! I have had an international driving license for 10 years, but alas UK laws mean I have to now get a local one. In the meantime I am hoping to have all of these mechanical issues sorted out.

I most certainly plan to look after her with utmost care.

PS - Are you really based in Zimbabwe?! ;)

Welcome to the club, and congratulations on your first purchase.

Highly recommend you take it to SRD to get them to check all the mechanic aspects of the car, with regards to the paint work I again would highly recommend you take the car to Stonkin (that is his forum name, his name is Christian) to have a look and see if he can restore the paint. My Supra spent a lot of time outside and being the 404 white it was looking very dull and in a sorry state. He did an outstanding job and brought it back to life!

Obviously not, just liked this location - I am from NW London.

As you said car pulls great, just someone lost love for it in recent time, although car is still far from being knackered. Couple of hundreds and she will be a beauty again.

Take care, and hope to see the car at Ace Cafe - my favourite place...

- - - Updated - - -

Paint is gone same like on mine haha...

• 1 month later...

Friends - A major update, I managed to procure my UK License today, passed the test first time - no minors / majors. I started the car up tonight and could NOT wait to take her out for a drive. That said, I need to sort insurance out immediately i.e. By tomorrow!

Any recommendations? I have had a non-exchangeable license for 10 years now, I am wishfully hoping that will add to case. That said I am ok for a 2K per annum quote.

Would really appreciate your input.

welcome hamzah

I am with sky with limited miles (5k) paying 400 pound.

If you can get away with limited miles I would do it, try a classic car insurance place too mate, as long as the car is in a garage (doesnt matter if its offsite) then it will be cheap, they do not take no claims into consideration so you will be good. Again they quoted me 400 but sky matched it so it made sense just to stick with them.

Friends - A major update, I managed to procure my UK License today, passed the test first time - no minors / majors. I started the car up tonight and could NOT wait to take her out for a drive. That said, I need to sort insurance out immediately i.e. By tomorrow!

Any recommendations? I have had a non-exchangeable license for 10 years now, I am wishfully hoping that will add to case. That said I am ok for a 2K per annum quote.

Would really appreciate your input.

Congratulations on the pass!

I found Competition Car Insurance to be the cheapest for insurance on the Supra and good service too.

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/

I'll put photos up tonight as soon as I get home. Got a few nice shots, but on one condition...no one can speak about the other car in the photo.

Am feeling absolutely demoralised...Sky said they wont quote me as I hadn't had a license for 2 years / didn't have any no claims. I'm getting cheaper quotes on my non exchangeable license of 10 years than I am on a full UK drivers license. How does one get no claims if they wont even give you a policy in the first place.

I'll put photos up tonight as soon as I get home. Got a few nice shots, but on one condition...no one can speak about the other car in the photo.

Am feeling absolutely demoralised...Sky said they wont quote me as I hadn't had a license for 2 years / didn't have any no claims. I'm getting cheaper quotes on my non exchangeable license of 10 years than I am on a full UK drivers license. How does one get no claims if they wont even give you a policy in the first place.

As mentioned before classic cars will quote you without NCB.

You'll get no claims on other cars but unlikely on a high performance sports car as the risk is very high :)

As mentioned before classic cars will quote you without NCB.

You'll get no claims on other cars but unlikely on a high performance sports car as the risk is very high :)

Hey Abz - Thanks buddy, one question did you mean classic cars or competition cars (as in your previous post)?!!?!

Just did a heavy session in the gym cleared my head....willing to go upto 3K on the insurance per annum - Just means I wont be able to get the car resprayed next year :(

Either way I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and beg and plead with them.

GANG!!!! Great news, I am INSURED! :D:D:D:D:D A few more than I was hoping but still nothing like the nightmare situation I was in yesterday. Thank you to Abz and Shawn for helping me keep my chin up during a tumultuous time where I actually considered selling the car/putting it in cold storage. Now for the promised photos!!

I had an entire FB post planned with a soppy story et al. By the time we got the car back it was past 1AM so I thought I'd leave it for the morning. I wake up and my mother dear had already posted it on FB! Stole my glory ;)

10572360_10152400823329285_52398847_o.jpg

The second photo I took..

IMG_20140829_202350_edit.jpg

The moment we parked her up for the first time

IMG_20140830_144908.jpg

The morning after

IMG_20140902_075732_edit.jpg

Waiting for the weather to improve, will take her for my first *independent drive* and have her cleaned up and give my SLR something beautiful to look at.

The project can officially begin.

GANG!!!! Great news, I am INSURED! :D:D:D:D:D A few more than I was hoping but still nothing like the nightmare situation I was in yesterday. Thank you to Abz and Shawn for helping me keep my chin up during a tumultuous time where I actually considered selling the car/putting it in cold storage. Now for the promised photos!!

I had an entire FB post planned with a soppy story et al. By the time we got the car back it was past 1AM so I thought I'd leave it for the morning. I wake up and my mother dear had already posted it on FB! Stole my glory ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192267[/ATTACH]

The second photo I took..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192268[/ATTACH]

The moment we parked her up for the first time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192269[/ATTACH]

The morning after

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192270[/ATTACH]

Waiting for the weather to improve, will take her for my first *independent drive* and have her cleaned up and give my SLR something beautiful to look at.

The project can officially begin.

Good man! Who did you go with in the end?

Once you get a year tucked under you in the new license you'll see it start dropping!

I got one with Aviva - Had to insure my next of kin on it as I am a loner in this country and agree to a limited mileage etc. There was a cheaper option with XS Direct but with a 3K excess! I went for the slightly more expensive insurance but smaller excess, being risk averse of course.

Took the car out for my first drive today - was scared crapless. I don't know why?! I've been driving since I was 12. Anyway, I realised that the speedo though it apparently has undergone the KM - M conversion is still way too optimistic and I think shows speeds in KM. I wanted to check via an app on the phone but was too afraid to do so on my first drive. Also no sat nav so couldn't compare that way either. Will add to the list of issues that need urgent resolution. Spent over an hour photographing the car in her bare true state. She is FILTHY! But that's how all projects should start.

All I need now is a tutor(s) who can guide me with what to do as I am slightly out of my depth.