The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU on a tiptronic VVTi

j_jza80

Hey guys, just getting a parts / to do list together to go BPU on the new car, and just have a few queries. So far, my list consists of:

- Walboro fuel pump 255lph

- 3x new coil pack clips

- Iridium plugs

- uprated side mount intercooler

- 3" 1st and 2nd decats

- 3" high flow sports cat (weld into 2nd decat pipe)

- HKS / Blitz Boost controller

- HKS Superdragger exhaust or similar

- HKS FCD

- Boost, AFR and oil pressure gauges

- K&N panel filter for stock VVTi airbox

- full fluid service items, filters etc.

- Inspect crank pulley dampener.

Am I right in thinking that I don't need a restrictor ring in the exhaust if I'm using a boost controller?

I don't want to remove the speed limiter due to the known issues with tiptronics, I take it that won't be necessary?

Are there any parts I've missed? Or any stock parts that want checking before going BPU? (obviously brakes, tyres etc)

Lastly, somewhat unrelated, do all VVTis have DBW throttles? All the pictures I can find of them, including my new one, seem to have a throttle cable?

Cheers. :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

You still need a restrictor ring the boost controller is used to raise the boost once the ring is in otherwise the turbos will spin upto 1.6bar and die a glorious death as per normal j-specs. Your sports cat may be enough resistance but I don't know.

I have both whifbitz 2.5 decats with 3inch cat back and 1 bar restrictor ring the EBC in my case is a Greddy Profec Spec 2 and is set for 0.9 and 1.2 bar lo-hi.

It passes emissions decatted too.

All VVTIs are driven by cable but the butterfly inside the throttle body is driven by an electronic motor as opposed to the non VVTI butterfly flap which is opened solely by a cable.

The HKS FCD is setting 10 I believe on mine.

Do the cam cover seals and associated pipes as they are likely shot and if your really keen check your turbo link pipes as one of mine had collapsed internally the other was on its way.

The speed restrictor is removed on mine the problem is without an aftermarket ECU to control the Gearbox it will not change into 4th at around 130-140mph you have to lay off and give 70% throttle and it will change up and continue to accelerate but if you go flat out it will kick back down and shag your engine because they are silly.

The list of small things is endless tbh depends how fussy you are.

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Hmmm i think my FCD is set to 9 like in the DIY. Im still with limiter too and the only issue you'll have after going full BPU is that it flies up to it! Ill probably delimit mine and take care if i boot it but i wonder is it possible to remove the kick down totally as i rarely use it as im in manual mode always. Must check my turbo link pipes too.

Hmmm i think my FCD is set to 9 like in the DIY. Im still with limiter too and the only issue you'll have after going full BPU is that it flies up to it! Ill probably delimit mine and take care if i boot it but i wonder is it possible to remove the kick down totally as i rarely use it as im in manual mode always. Must check my turbo link pipes too.

Any aftermarket ECU that controls the Gearbox will do the trick.

To be honest I never breach 100mph in fact rarely hit 70mph ask the northern members on here Im like an old woman.

when my FCD was on 9 it hit fuel cut all the time on 10 it didnt but certain cars may be slightly different.

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Not difficult at all if your methodical in your approach there is one nut on the back of the 2nd turbo pipe which is awkward to get out but It can all be done from above.

:)

I cant really give you an accurate time scale as I did the entire bay over 6 months last winter..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?300903-MattPs-1998-VVTI-Tiptronic-Supra-Project

For me, I would get OEM Turbo Link pipes , if the Whifbitz piece or Silicon is like the lower Rad Whifbitz pipe, it is very thinly layered; I replaced it after a few months for an OEM lower rad pipe, difference in quality was very noticeable

Lol I noticed extra Chinese spec

Thank you, Have found I can get Samcos 1mm smaller diameter, need triming to the correct lengths for £5 cheaper :)

I got the link pipes, the smic pipe kit, the radiator pipe kit and ofcourse an actual upgraded smic all whifbitz parts nothing fit correctly and Is of Chinese quality IMO I'm on my 3rd smic from whifbitz and it's still not right but I give up chasing.

I'm not sour about these direct fit parts not being direct fit at all :/