The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Touching up stone chips

Gretie22

Right got a few stone chips that could do with touching up, where can I get the correct paint as I'm thinking it will probably need mixing to match the car as it's 21 years old now.

There are plenty of paint shops around that'll colour swatch match your paint and mix up an aerosol for you for around a tenner.

I prefer aerosol paint to do stone chips as I can spray it onto a sheet of paper and use it at a nice workable consistency dependant on whether applying to a flat surface or a vertical surface. Dabbed on then smoothed with wet fine paper finished off with cutting paste and you can hardly see the touch up.

People probably use different methods to apply the paint. I actually apply it using a toothpick which gives a domed drop finish that is then flattened and smoothed off before the paint is fully hardened. I wonder if anyone else does this but I always had an issue of a sunken hollow when applying with a brush. This method gives me the best results.

There are plenty of paint shops around that'll colour swatch match your paint and mix up an aerosol for you for around a tenner.

I prefer aerosol paint to do stone chips as I can spray it onto a sheet of paper and use it at a nice workable consistency dependant on whether applying to a flat surface or a vertical surface. Dabbed on then smoothed with wet fine paper finished off with cutting paste and you can hardly see the touch up.

People probably use different methods to apply the paint. I actually apply it using a toothpick which gives a domed drop finish that is then flattened and smoothed off before the paint is fully hardened. I wonder if anyone else does this but I always had an issue of a sunken hollow when applying with a brush. This method gives me the best results.

Thanks for the tips, I was just going to dab it into the chips using one of those little brushes, but your method sounds much better.

I got something from Frost automotive called Lanka blob eliminator, it only removes touch up paint allowing you to smooth the touched up area flat to match the car better.

Never heard of Langka before. Checked out Amazon reviews which seem to give it an overall thumbs up.

http://www.amazon.com/Langka-LANGKA-The-Blob-Eliminator/product-reviews/B000BAT622

$19 in the USA, £21 here, go figure.