The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beware, cat c supra. reg: B16RCY

Gretie22

Saw an advert of Facebook yesterday for a grey uk spec supra, instantly smelt a rat, so did a quick check on the plate. Came back as a cat C (which he hadn't mentioned). Didn't get a screenshot of the advert, as soon as I mentioned it being a cat c he deleted it. But got the photo from his profile.

Edited by Gretie22 (see edit history)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a nice car, someone will fall for that..!!

hopefully most on here carry out a HPI chack before purchasing, If not, then this should be a good example of why they should.

Cat C's need a VIC check to get them back on the road/log book back from the DVLA, so I'm not sure what has happened here?

On the ad he said it had been in dry storage for a while and had no mot or tax. The under the bonnet photo on the ad was a close up, but you could still see the headlights had been removed. So I'm thinking maybe he bought it in 2005, crashed it in 2006 and has just kept it away since as there hasn't been an owner change since the accident. Finally finished fixing it up and is now trying to sell it.

On the ad he said it had been in dry storage for a while and had no mot or tax. The under the bonnet photo on the ad was a close up, but you could still see the headlights had been removed. So I'm thinking maybe he bought it in 2005, crashed it in 2006 and has just kept it away since as there hasn't been an owner change since the accident. Finally finished fixing it up and is now trying to sell it.

You would make a great private investigator :)

It only takes minor damage for a supra to fall into cat c territory though, the price of main dealer parts for the mkiv and the car's relatively low value nowadays means the insurers will classify a cat c for a lot less damage than some of the cars on here have had, but not gone through the insurers. It would only take the headlights, bumper and minor damage to a couple of body panels for it to be a cat c. But, the fact he hasn't mentioned it in the ad rings alarm bells. So if it hasn't had a vic carried out since being written off, I assume it hasn't got a V5 anyhow, was that mentioned in the ad?

It only takes minor damage for a supra to fall into cat c territory though, the price of main dealer parts for the mkiv and the car's relatively low value nowadays means the insurers will classify a cat c for a lot less damage than some of the cars on here have had, but not gone through the insurers. It would only take the headlights, bumper and minor damage to a couple of body panels for it to be a cat c. But, the fact he hasn't mentioned it in the ad rings alarm bells. So if it hasn't had a vic carried out since being written off, I assume it hasn't got a V5 anyhow, was that mentioned in the ad?

No, no mention of v5.

Here another picture of his profile which has now been removed:

Apparently he had if up on eBay before this and didn't mention it was a Cat C there either, defiantly trying to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer.

Edited by Gretie22 (see edit history)

Ahh yes... this chap was mouthing off about the low offers he was receiving on the car...! Apparently,' "Yh people don't want to pay what's its worth little chavs with pocket money wanting big mans toys."

Thats right. I remember now seeing that. something about "go and buy a corsa". Will see if its in my saved items.

No, no mention of v5.

Here another picture of his profile which has now been removed:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a522/Gretie24/6CDD6DEA-1AAB-4415-9F69-ABEC81908360_zpsx9kbapar.png

Apparently he had if up on eBay before this and didn't mention it was a Cat C there either, defiantly trying to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer.

You've sniffed out another dog. ;)

The rear wheel shown cocking in the pic in post #11.

he states he added the blue pipes himself have a look at the mess he has made the Intercooler pipe is kinked shut almost...

Yup, the pipe would probably have fitted fine when it was oem length, but now he's added in a section to add the dump valve it's too long. But the oem recirc valve is still in place and doesn't seem to be blocked off either. Dread to think what other bodges you would find on that car.