The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Underseal garage in Scotland ???

Guest Scotty 88

Guest Scotty 88

Hey guys! Quick question but does anybody know where's the best place to get the supra underseal in Scotland ??? Just don't want the rust to get hold of the car :(

Guest Scotty 88

I thought about it but I only have small car ramps plus the only garage I trust is closed for a a wee while now yea I've heard it's not the best thing to get in your eye, how did you get on with your car?

What does the underside of your Sup currently look like, out of curiosity?

You can cover the large areas of the underside with a brush and some underseal, but to do the job correctly and to get into the box sections and hard to reach areas, you ideally need a wand attachment. Also have a read online at the different treatment techniques and products which you can use to treat the underside before the underseal is applied, as otherwise you are merely locking in the rust, which will no doubt lead to more serious corrosion.

Guest Scotty 88

The condition is good for its age (21 years old ) there's slight signs of rust, I looked at different products and Schutz, Dinitrol and Carplan kept coming up I rather attack it ASAP before it gets worse and have to start welding but rather get it sort out soon, yea that's right if you look it in then more damage than good

I had the front of my car up on axle stands so I could straighten out the seem tha gets flattened when people use a trolley jack inthe factory jacking locations and so decided to apply a couple of coats of underbody to along these areas, but last year when I had the car on 4 axle stands I got my exto do the whole of the underside. If she could do it anyone can.

Guest Scotty 88

Thanks man am going to have a look tomorrow are the stores e.g. Auto save and halfords and if not there then the net, do you still remember the product you used? If I got my ex do to it she would fiip and steal the car lol

Guest Scotty 88

Oh didn't know Hammerite did underseal might have a look that up :) I've heard of car plan they're common for car products, I looking to tackle it myself this weekend :)

If you've already got signs of rust, get it to a professional to sort out. Even if that means traveling.

Anyone who has dealt with classic cars before will know the issues incorrect application of under seal can cause. As has been mentioned, if you trap moisture in there, you'll end up with a rotten floor pan eventually. This is why it is also important to get underseal removed and replaced once it starts showing signs of flaking and cracking.

I'd also look into cavity wax application too.

You need to make sure underneath the car is BONE dry first, otherwise you are just sealing over moisture.

I had mine done after it had been in the bodyshop for almost 2 months and a week in the oven, so no traces of damp or wet, hopefully.

If you've already got signs of rust, get it to a professional to sort out. Even if that means traveling.

Anyone who has dealt with classic cars before will know the issues incorrect application of under seal can cause. As has been mentioned, if you trap moisture in there, you'll end up with a rotten floor pan eventually. This is why it is also important to get underseal removed and replaced once it starts showing signs of flaking and cracking.

I'd also look into cavity wax application too.

^This

If your car bottom already has some rust and you apply underseal on it, it will rust under the sealant and at it will keep on rotting untill you have a hole. If there is rust, the rust needs to be removed with sandblasting and painted before underseal can be applied. Proper underseal treatment cant be done in an hour on ramps.

Here's a video how you properly underseal a car:

Edited by Krister (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but thought I may be of some assistance, I run my own Vehicle Undersealing Company. Looking forward to having fun on this forum and meeting some great enthusiast.

Mark

Edited by SPG
Please see club rules on trading. (see edit history)