The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting the hunt for TT6

Guest Fallscrim

Guest Fallscrim

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to sell up my JDM Impreza STi and try a Supra, as its very much on my list of "cars to own before death".

I'm aware that the TT6 models command a premium over the Autos, but my question is, by how much?

The Impreza will likely fetch ~8500 and I'm not currently in a position to really spend over that. My ideal spec would be a BPU'd manual - is this achievable on the budget, or do they normally fetch closer to the 10k mark?

Secondly, I've read a lot about not underestimating the Auto as a rewarding drive, is there anyone in the North Herts or South Cambridge area with a BPU Auto that might be willing to take me for a spin so I can at least see if my manual snobbery is curable?

Any advice appreciated :)

Andy

If you're only looking for BPU, an auto is a better car IMO. There no clutch to worry about, and gearboxes are very cheap to replace - though they're more than tough enough for BPU. If you need to replace a manual gearbox, you're looking at £2500 for a second hand one, and no one wants to rebuild them.

The best thing about auto BPU is when you floor it, you get pinned back into your seat in an unrelenting rush, right until you're over twice the speed limit. :D

However, if I was looking for a single turbo car, I would definitely be wanting a manual.

Also, will you be commuting in this Supra?

Plus, good autos start at around £4500, you'll need £10k to buy a manual at the moment. If you hang on until winter, the market will probably improve a bit though.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Guest Fallscrim

The idea would be to use it to commute once or twice a week, but it probably wouldn't be a daily.

Whats the logic behind a manual for higher power applications - is it just a strength thing? Although I've yet to drive one, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be wanting to go beyond BPU.

The idea would be to use it to commute once or twice a week, but it probably wouldn't be a daily.

Whats the logic behind a manual for higher power applications - is it just a strength thing? Although I've yet to drive one, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be wanting to go beyond BPU.

Purely because it is a extremely well built gearbox, folks here running 1000bhp using stock transmission. The real cost of fitting a V160 or V161 would be closer to £4k or more once you factor in clutch, fly wheel, labour.

I have owned both and if you are after a BPU Supra you can't go wrong with the auto box, fantastic box!

Basically, yes :) the auto gearbox is tough, and reliable upto around 500ft/lb. More than enough for bpu.

The getrag manual gearbox is one of the toughest road car gearboxes in the world, and dome guys in the US run well over 1000hp and still use the 6 speed reliably. But if you're happy with BPU, which makes for a very fast car BTW, it's not worth spending an extra £4k on the car just for a manual gearbox.

Guest Fallscrim

Just on the subject of manuals, where do the R154 and W58 5 speeds fit into the picture? I see cars popping up for sale every so often that are running one of these rather than a V160/161

Auto ftw!

The stock auto can take 600bhp and around 500+lbft with 2x trans coolers. But for around £2k you can get a built autobox from Boostlogic, Titan, SRD which will hold 700bhp+ and there brilliant fun on kickdown. I'd still say BPU Auto kickdown is still one of the best feelings! Single turbo auto kickdown is a whole new level though. Auto supras definitely surprise passengers :D