The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement clutch help time - 650bhp

Pig

The time has come for my trusty/rattly old HKS GD MAX Twin plate clutch to give up the ghost. Bless her cotton socks, she did last 7 years and over ten thousand miles (all light use :innocent:)

So I need your help please.

1. Do I rebuild this clutch?

I assume the answer is no as it is probably old technology now and I believe the clutch is only really designed for about 600 anyway. Seeing as I am currently running 650 @ 1.5bar I expect to see up to 700 at higher boost I need to consider this with my choice.

So if not rebuilding, what do I do?

I have spent a fair few hours reading but there is no where that gives me the info I need.

Points to consider.

1. New / Used

2. Price

3. Rattle

4. Stiffness of pedal

5. Ease of use i.e slip/on off

6. Material*

*When reading some old posts about carbon carbon, I read that some won't hold when cold. A clutch that requires anymore input that dump for fun or slip to get on driveway is of no interest to me.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Jon

Are there any lower budget options? Just shy of £2k is a lot to spend on a clutch when you only drive less than 1500 miles a year.

Are the modern ones that much better than the older types?

I remember my RPS Triple plate Carbon from 8 years ago and it was miserable! REALLY heavy and on/off

What are peoples thoughts on used clutches?

I have a south bend DXD clutch which has served me well, granted I don't drive my car in the same manner you do :D I'm running a similar set up to you (power wise).

i hated mine in the old car, sounded as if it was ready to fall out the box, pedal pressure was stupid, so hard, drove me nuts at biting point.

Bit overkill on the power front, nice and light though, smooth. Just a bit noisy for me.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312198-1000-BHP-Exedy-Carbon-R-triple-plate-clutch

If I had the time to come and visit/drive your car I may have been interested but I don't at the moment I don't and also looking for something cheaper.

Centreforce dual friction, perfect pedal and holds the power.

https://www.centerforce.com/products/dual-friction-series

I have dropped them an email - Is this what you run in your car?

ive just fitted an ACT clutch for my 1JZ but im sure they so a clutch for the 2JZ.

Mine was a single plate 6 puk extreme but was holding well at 683hp, with 600flb of torque.

perhaps they do a triple plate, mine was £650.

and I wouldn't use SPEC as it was horrible, on or off.

What Spec clutch did you have? Must have been a stage 5 paddle? All of the Spec clutches we've fitted have been great, light pedal and nice and easy take up. Spec is what we recommend anyway until you need a multi plate clutch then go for either RPS triple or Carbonetic/ATS twin or triple.

HKS in our experience wear out fast.

i hated mine in the old car, sounded as if it was ready to fall out the box, pedal pressure was stupid, so hard, drove me nuts at biting point.

That's odd as I never noticed any difference over my stock clutch. The biting point is absolutely fine and there's no noise.

What Spec clutch did you have? Must have been a stage 5 paddle? All of the Spec clutches we've fitted have been great, light pedal and nice and easy take up. Spec is what we recommend anyway until you need a multi plate clutch then go for either RPS triple or Carbonetic/ATS twin or triple.

HKS in our experience wear out fast.

Agree - had this on my car for a few months before I sold it. Great setup, better than stock (although my setup would probably max out at 600/650 LB Torque.

One thing I can say for sure is to stay away from Southbend Clutches. They are rubbish and their customer service non-existent.

imi