The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon vs Fiberglass Bodywork - Cracking

Noz

Hey guys,

wondered how carbon reacts to flexing. More fibreglass seems to crack over time (probably just cheap kits that I've had experience with).

What are the NUR arches like, with carbon.

I was looking at having the rear aches made from fibreglass, but I'm tired of having to re-visit the bodywork due to wear and tear.

Carbon is amazing but totaly understood.

Fiberglass in my opinion is horrible, as you say it has next to no flex hence id never ever fit a fiber glass body kit.

Carbon in it's strongest form ie layers upon layers with apoxy has zero give but when hit in an extream circumstance will shatter. You will still get the cracking if you clear coat, this is not the carbon it's the clear coat itself. A perfect example Is the cannards I designed, I can stand on them no problem, a shine auto diffuser however can't be stood on as it's one thin layer of carbon with next to no strength.

To answer your question carbon in this instance will be better than fiber glass yes.