The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra strange noises. Help please?

supra_24

Hey guys,

Got around to sorting the previous issues with my new supra, but now some other strange noises have appeared.

So thought you ma be able to help advise me on them?

The first noise is like a light blowing noise from under the bonnet when moving on off drive way. Sounds like when air escapes slightly from a balloon on occasion.

The second noise is a rattle which is more prominent on startup. Sounds as if it comes from underneath the car just before the front wheels.

The rattle isn't too loud and does settle down a bit after warming up, but you hear it a bit more if you tap on off the revs.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as all these issues are kinda causing me some uneeded stress atm.

Thanks again.

Regards

Ash

both my supras have done this, normally if its been parked up for a couple of days, strange sort of blow/rattle/ hasint dont it for ages, seems like it comes from the gearbox area to me, drive 20 yards down the road and it goes. i dont take any notice of it anymore because nobody seems to have an idea what it is? i did a post of it years ago with a vid and noise, have alook back throw my posts, way back tho

I was considering going back to whifbitz London on Monday, but it would be my second journey back there :/

The blowing noise isn't a major issue, but only just started noticing it.

The rattle sometimes changes pitch in noise, so i becomes a bot more squeaky?

Is anything major to worry about?

Apart front this the noise stops after driving and turbod wotl as they should and generally dri es fine?

If you are not good at handling stress I would say a W58 behind a TT engine is perhaps not for you ;) The `box is now well over its design torque limit and they are a bit like a grenade behind a TT. Whatever a Stage whatever clutch might mean, I don't know, but if it's grabby and fierce it will potentially put even greater shock loadings through the `box, so treat the thing with kid gloves, no hard standing starts, no snatchy gear changes. The W58 is known for layshaft bearing noise at the best of times, does some of the noise go when you depress the clutch in neutral, engine idling?

Ok cheers mate. When i say stress its juts that i have a lot going on atm what with jobs etc..

When it comes to cars im usually pretty good with sorting them.

I had a s15 at one stage, so no stranger to imports lol.

Its just that the supra is new to me and trying to get rid of all the noises lol.

In regards to the rattle, i believe it goes away after warming up/driving for a while.

Not sure about when i depress the clutch.

Just wanted to try and figure out the issue so i can sort it bud ;)

is it something problematic that i would need to resolve soon or can i just live with it?

Regards

Ash

If it's as Chris says, then yes, you can live with it......until the gearbox completely poops itself, like mine did not long ago (same set up)

If the noise goes when the clutch is depressed, start looking for a new gearbox, is my advice.

You need to get it up on a ramp and have a proper poke about whilst it's doing this, it could be almost anything. You could run it for a minute or two *ONLY* with the auxiliary belt off and see if the noise is gone. If it has gone then it's something the auxiliary belt drives, obviously. Carefully listening to areas with the handle of a long screwdriver to your ear may localise the source. It may also punch a hole in your skull if you poke into something that's moving :)

Or you could just ignore the noises and wait and see if anything vital falls off, or makes itself blindingly obvious.

May talk to whifbitz and see if they can look at it Monday.

Its definitely not any of the belts or runners at the front of the engine as these have all just been replaced by whifbitz last week.

I think it may be a hanger or exhaust rattle myself. Guess i will see what Darren says and get it looked at.

She drives great apart from this. Really lovely car after 4 months of restoration.