The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cooling down times

Scoboblio

Being a tight bugger I'm not going to get a turbo timer until I go BPU. How long do you think it's necessary to leave the engine running after say a 20-30min run with a fair bit of second turbo action? I've just been leaving it running for say 3-4 mins after each run. Does this sound about right or am I in danger of causing damage?

Cheers.

I'd say that was plenty of time. I have a TT but, still do a local loop of ~2-3miles (off boost) on the way home after some action to cool off and the TT is at 0 by then.

I find that WITH a TT you save on the time sat in the car as it works it out for you and is normally less time than what you think.

There is some info in the manual about speed x = cool down time Y but, I forget what it is off the top of my head.

OK, here is what Mr T recommends in the manual:

After high speed or extended driving etc.. requiring a heavy engine load, the engine should be allowed to idle as showin in the chart below before turning it off:

High speed driving:

50 mph - idling time about 20 seconds

63 mph - idling time about 1minute

Continued driving above 63 mph - idling time about 2 mins.

If you have a TT then set it to Auto and it will work it out for you OR after a good session give yourself a couple of miles cool down and you'll be fine. IF you can't give yourself a couple of miles cool down then, I'd use 2mins (min)at idle with maybe the bonnet open too.

All IMO :)

Remember that leaving the car idling at the end of a journey (especially a thrash), leads to heat soak throughout the engine bay - the turbo's might be cooling down, but the rest of the engine will be getting hotter.

The best solution is to drive your last 1/2 mile or so without using any boost. I know that's a challenge for most of you lot though...