The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are strut braces really a waste of time??

Elmo

A well made one like a TRD one must stiffen things up a bit, i bet it's hardly noticeable.

The Carbing one is best for the supra IMO, as it has the build in Master cylinder brace which vastly increases pedal feel, from people who've used it.

My Carbing one makes a difference. Feels like there's a bit of air been let out of the tyres at the front under hard, spirited cornering. And the brakes feel slightly less responsive under heavier braking too. Gets in the way when you're trying to do stuff under the bonnet, but transforms the car when you fling it around.

A thicker/stiffer ARB would have more of a noticeable difference.

For me, completely pointless on Supra as the turret tops just serve as a mounting face for the suspension. The only way it would make a noticeable difference is if the brace triangulated to the bulkhead. A lot of it is in peoples heads because they expect it to feel different but hey that's just my opinion.

It's worth it on an aerotop as it reduces the flex when the roof is off..

I'm sure it's probably physco logical but it does seem to help

A couple of bolt in bars in the roof area for when the roof is out might fix the jelly wobble aero tops suffer with the roof out. I remember once parking mine with the front wheels up a lump and I had to back the car up as I couldn't get the roof back in. I perceived an increase in rigidity on my aerotop with a brace fitted but wether that was placebo effect or not I don't know. How would you quantify it anyway?

I read this, is what they are saying accurate, are strut braces a pointless upgrade on a Supra??

I'd be interested to know what you guys think about the subject ;)

Just read some of the link and noticed it was in the mkiii section, despite what others have said here they do make a difference in an mkiv aerotop with the roof off!

Guest Knightrider1980

I noticed a difference when I bought my Tein front and rear strut braces, I noticed an even bigger difference when I installed my Tein superstreet suspension, cornering is very much improved with a full set-up.

IMO a strut brace is just another marketing technique so that people buy more things for their car. It also just means one extra modification when it comes to insurance. Some people say it makes a difference, other say it doesn't, so in reality it's all down to whether or not you like having a strut brace blocking your engine bay :D

I joke... But seriously I've never seen even a slight difference with a struct brace on or off. Now anti-roll bars, that's where stuff gets real! :thumbs: