The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello - thinking about getting a Supra TT

Carnage

Hello,

I don't own a Supra but would love to one day, and possibly as my next car. I check these forums daily and it seems like a great community.

A few months ago I had my car stolen and it was written off (someone came into my house at night and stole my keys, took the car, then wrecked it early in the morning). A Seat Leon Cupra R running around 280bhp. :( May not be fast by Supra standards but it was plenty quick for me.

My wife hated the Cupra due to it being too loud and low, so I made a deal that I we should get two cars, one family, and one for me (a toy basically). We used the insurance money to buy the family car and now I'm saving up for my new car.

My budget this year will be up to 6K (if I'm lucky) but next year maybe 8K (missus won't allow me spending more than this I reckon).

I've narrowed down my next car to one of the following: (you can probably tell that I'm obsessed with turbo's :) )

Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Auto

Astra GTE MK2 16V (preferably Turbo'd)

Focus RS MK1

Classic Mini with an engine conversion (16V, Turbo etc)

Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8T or similar

Question is, should I wait to save up for a decent Supra TT Auto or just go for the Astra, Mini or Golf (and get a Supra a few years down the line)? I know it may sound like a daft question on this forum but I'm desperate to get my own car, and getting a decent Supra will take longer to save up for.

Also, would the Supra cost more to run than the other cars I've mentioned?

Anyways, hello, and apologies for the long post! :)

Edited by Carnage
Spelling (see edit history)

Welcome mate.

Good choice you can get some bargains on here for around 6k, find a well looked after TT auto. Cost of running they generally do around 20MPG and a little more on motorway. Some parts can be expensive but if you buy the right car usually the common issues have been dealt with. Generally alot of the cars here are serviced and maintained by the member or certain traders. Keeping "project threads" is a good idea as it shows the car history.

You will get far more attention (good) than any of the other cars listed above! There are plenty of scottish members on here so it might be worth keeping an eye in the Scottish section and meeting the other lads. My friend has a 400HP Cupra R, I have a 2.0 diesel, 140 bhp, I love them :)

Hello and welcome to the club!

Out of all the cars you listed the Supra will have 100+bhp more than the rest standard (if that's your thing) and Classic looks which will result in many admiring comments and glances.

Running cost wise the 2JZ block is renowned for being a well built and reliable unit. Some owners run upto 600bhp on standard internals!

There's also been a few decent Auto TT's going recently on the forum for between £4-£6k, a tad low in price in my opinion but a steal,if you can get a decent, well looked after one!

If you can get along to the Glasgow monthly meet one month I'm sure one of the members will take you out for a spin and your mind will be made up for sure! :)

Welcome mate.

Good choice you can get some bargains on here for around 6k, find a well looked after TT auto. Cost of running they generally do around 20MPG and a little more on motorway. Some parts can be expensive but if you buy the right car usually the common issues have been dealt with. Generally alot of the cars here are serviced and maintained by the member or certain traders. Keeping "project threads" is a good idea as it shows the car history.

You will get far more attention (good) than any of the other cars listed above! There are plenty of scottish members on here so it might be worth keeping an eye in the Scottish section and meeting the other lads. My friend has a 400HP Cupra R, I have a 2.0 diesel, 140 bhp, I love them

Thanks mate. Some sound advice! :) Yeah, 6K is what I'm aiming for initially. May be difficult for my missus to agree with this (she would rather I spend something like 3-4K on another car) but I will do my best to convince her that the Supra, long term, is the correct choice. :)

Hello and welcome to the club!

Out of all the cars you listed the Supra will have 100+bhp more than the rest standard (if that's your thing) and Classic looks which will result in many admiring comments and glances.

Running cost wise the 2JZ block is renowned for being a well built and reliable unit. Some owners run upto 600bhp on standard internals!

There's also been a few decent Auto TT's going recently on the forum for between £4-£6k, a tad low in price in my opinion but a steal,if you can get a decent, well looked after one!

If you can get along to the Glasgow monthly meet one month I'm sure one of the members will take you out for a spin and your mind will be made up for sure!

Cheers. :) Yeah, might consider going to a Glasgow meet, might take the missus to try and convince her! :) The tuning potential of the Supra seems unreal - thats what really appeals to me. I want a car I can continually improve over time.

My bro in law has a Cupa r he took my tt out the other day and said its a whole different league

I can imagine. :)

• 2 years later...

Well, I finally got my Supra, my dream car :-) Renaissance Red Supra Auto Single Turbo 1993 - UK Spec.

I've had it a few months now, and I've recently had it detailed as it had a respray but wasn't fully protected. Now has a coating of Crystal Serum Light with 3 coats of Exo v.3.

Is running around 500bhp and it's extremely fast, for me at least! I can't imagine upping the power anytime soon.

Edited by Carnage (see edit history)

Nice Supra!! You did have to go much over your intial budget?

Tidy Supra mate. Was reading the first post and thinking, not much chance of getting a decent TT Auto for £6k, didn't realise this was a 2 year old thread! I'm assuming you upped your budget?

Cheers. :-) Yes, initial budget 3 years ago was quite a bit lower than my recent budget. :-)

Very nice!!! Bet you're pleased that you waited David

Thanks, Marc! :-)

Yehay, good things come to those that wait. V nice.

Cheers. Appreciate it. Have waited a while. :-)