The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car wont pass 140 mph limiter?

dr_jekyll

bit of a weird one .

been testing a car on a runway today and it accelerates hard upto 5000rpm in top/4th gear (auto) then just shuts off power like a limiter

it will rev right through to 6800 in 2nd and 3rd but when it changes to 4th just as it gets to 5000rpm approx. 140mph on 275/40/18 with 4.08 diff it just stops,

could it be the factory limiter rearing its ugly head even though the car is changed to mph via the vss?

You my j spec auto does this around the 120 mark and I just put it down to fuel cut as I don't have a defender fitted. But it doesn't do it all the time. Strange one, no idea what yours could be then as there's quite a difference between the limited 112 and the 140 your experiencing it at?

120mph is around the stock speed limiter when our does it its it quiet sooth or harsh, the only other car ive it the limiter in was a manual so it was uber harsh but maybe the torque converter takes the brunt in the auto so it smoother?

Yeah but mine is meant to have a delimiter fitted, and some times will go over the 120 mark (private roads and autobahn obviously), it seems intermittent and is a sudden loss of power but if I repress the accelerator it will accelerate again. Strange.

bit of a weird one .

been testing a car on a runway today and it accelerates hard upto 5000rpm in top/4th gear (auto) then just shuts off power like a limiter

it will rev right through to 6800 in 2nd and 3rd but when it changes to 4th just as it gets to 5000rpm approx. 140mph on 275/40/18 with 4.08 diff it just stops,

could it be the factory limiter rearing its ugly head even though the car is changed to mph via the vss?

ECU also also gets rpm info for the auto box overdrive speed sensor so your VSS converter won't be working in this case. The ODS Sensor is also VR as oppose to Hall so a conventional speedo clamp might not work. Disconnect the ODS sensor and see if that works as it might default to the VSS sensor (It's the one nearest the bell housing).

Lyndon.

ECU also also gets rpm info for the auto box overdrive speed sensor so your VSS converter won't be working in this case. The ODS Sensor is also VR as oppose to Hall so a conventional speedo clamp might not work. Disconnect the ODS sensor and see if that works as it might default to the VSS sensor (It's the one nearest the bell housing).

Lyndon.

if its an electronic cut/limit then I am with Lyndon on this. Your speedo convertor presumably has a clamped output and its that what is fed to the ecu to get rid of the normal 112 limit and you quite obviously are way past that.