The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlights question

Sanya

Hi guys,

From what I have read, Xenon HID`s are illegal in a Supra. (They are not fitted with a self leveling mechanism, don`t have a headlight spray, bla bla) so...

What do I put in there in order to have a nice bright and LEGAL beam???? At the moment the light intensity of my cars low beams is like I have candles in them.

I do need to polish them first, thought. (Do I just go with 1500 and 2000 sand paper and then Turtlewax allmighty? or there is a more hi tech complicated way?)

Thank you.

I've had HID's (main beam only) fitted to my jspec headlights for the past few years, never failed an MOT, last MOT was April.

I clean my headlights every few months, I just use Halfords cutting polish on a 12V rotary polishing machine, just make she the pad stays damp. I then given them a coat of Autoglym resin polish.

Hm, so you are saying HIDs do pass, what HID are you using? Are they ok to use with standard lens?

A lot of club members have HID's fitted.

Mine are 6000K, I bought mine from a group buy in 2010 and fitted to standard jspec plastic headlights. Like I said it's never failed an MOT. If it did fail, I'd just put the stock bulbs back in, then after it passed I'd re-fit the HID's.

Yes but if you get in an accident and insurance company finds out that your car is not road legal, bye bye claim.

Keep standard bulbs in glovebox when you crash and your bleeding from every orifice crawl around to the front of your car and change the bulbs back before you draw your terminal breath

if i rember 6000k are the highest you can have legally, anything above that gives a bluer tint, higher you go the bluer they get and and anything over 6000k is illegal.

i had bulbs like candles in my corsa i not have 6000k and never had a problem with mot or police, just need facelifts before i buy hid's for supra now